teaching my pup the comand ''downnnn-downnnnnn

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

teaching my pup the comand ''downnnn-downnnnnn

Post by ant »

how do you teach your pup 'the comand ''down'' in the field

i tryed it with a treat and pressing him down on the rug and saying ''downnnn-downnnnnn- downnnnnn.
is this the way?

show dog

down on commmand

Post by show dog »

i have 3 trained house beagles that hunt, do movies, are therapy dogs and hunt. i am happy for them to come when called. come is much more important than down. find a trainer in your area for basic obedience, invest some time and money in your dog and field work will be a pleasure. i can give you info in detail but too much for this forum. http://www.indulgeservices.com and contact me direct.

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

For hunting beagles, the down command is ONE of THE most important commands you can use. Most hounds worth their salt won't quit a track to a "come" command......but if you get close enough, and you've have trained them, yell down and they will down long enough for you to leash them up.

I start very young, as when I feed them I call them to me, say down, and press them down. Each time I'm training them or playing with them, when I first go to them I repeat the down command and press them down. Kenneling, etc, constantly repeat the down command. Using treats as you are is also a good way, just don't let that be the only time you're exposing them to the down command. Repitition in training is what works!

The down command will save you many headaches in the field when you're ready to catch the hounds at the end of the day. It could also save your hound one day. Say they're approaching a roadway trailing, you probably couldn't turn them with the "come" command, but you yell down and they down long enough for you to catch them and get them away from the roadway.

You're on the right track! You will be very happy you invested in teaching your hound to "down."
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

show dog

'down' command

Post by show dog »

From a field marshall point of view, beagles seem to have an aversion to both come and down. A word I use more is 'here' with better results. Any way you look at it though any obedience with any words forms a better bond with the dog and you will have a more enjoyable experience in the field or in the house. I am pounding away at this with the Ontario triallers I see/chat/train with and maybe someday those pick ups will be less frustrating! :lol: