Breaking hound off Pheasants

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

george lewis

Breaking hound off Pheasants

Post by george lewis »

Dog will not trail quail but backed a dog in a pp trial this weekend in ohio and got scratched in the winners pack on pheasants. We don't have pheasants in eastern ky. any info would be helpfull thanks George
COUNTY LINE KENNELS

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Shock collar. You gotta correct them while they're doing the deed so they know EXACTLY what they're NOT supposed to do.

george lewis

Breaking hound off pheasants

Post by george lewis »

It would be nice if you could use shock collars in the trials ! We have no pheasants here where I live he won't mess with quail
COUNTY LINE KENNELS

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Sorry, meant to say work on it w/ him when you train. Get you a 'pet' pheasant or whatever you need. Just like teaching not to run deer/fox.

george lewis

breaking off pheasants

Post by george lewis »

Has any one tried bottle scent ?
COUNTY LINE KENNELS

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

I have always heard of guys keeping chickens close to thier dogs or even in the same pen and they claim that helps them not want to run quail and Pheasant. I dont know this to be a fact but just something ive always heard.
Crane Creek Kennels

rc

Post by rc »

george , might try buying a pen raised phesant from one of the game preserves that have guided pheasant hunts for the bird hunters . robby cooper