Dogs nips at hand when taking something away

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ohiohunter

Dogs nips at hand when taking something away

Post by ohiohunter »

I have a one year old female that is a great dog. She is very loveable and doesn't have a mean bone in her, but dont try to take anything away from her. She had started a nasty habit of taking things (clothes, trash, etc..) and running away with it. If you catch her and try to take it, she will not let go. Her jaws lock up, and she will even growl if you try to take it. She has even snapped at me three times already and got me pretty bad. Any suggestions?
Take a kid hunting or fishing.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

hmm maybe.

Put some food on the floor.. Step on her leash and tell her to leave it.. And give her small rewards each time she looks away from it.. And eventually you can increase to the next steps as to drop objects when they learn it means rewards wither it be affection or food.

I guess I don't know. I suck at these kind of questions lol.

ohiohunter

Post by ohiohunter »

This is actually a good response. She will listen to the 'leave it' command, but she is stubborn sometimes.
Take a kid hunting or fishing.

daustin

Post by daustin »

I will not tolarate that from any of my dogs. IF they growl then they get the sh*t knocked out of them. It only takes once or twice an she won't do it again. I usually set the situation up, like give them a bone and let them chew on it for a few minutes an then try and pick it up. Then give the bone back to them and let them go a few more minutes. It is the most effective method I know of.

Dane

show dog

Post by show dog »

You need to replace whatever she has taken with something more interesting. I have a dog that needs a biscuit to give up her bone. She has had lots of teaching but that behaviour is still there. If you challenge without replacement, it just becomes a power struggle that leads to frustration on all sides and a biting dog.

Carolyn

daustin

Post by daustin »

Carolyn,
No offense but apparently you have not established the Alpha relationship with that dog. Replacing the item still can lead to the same problem. This is particularly important in a household with kids where they may not know that they should give the dog something else before they get near the bone. Set the alpha relationship and do not tolerate any form of growling or biting when getting near a dog with food/bone/whatever.

Dane

CHRIS WHITT

Post by CHRIS WHITT »

Carolyn,
No offense but apparently you have not established the Alpha relationship with that dog. Replacing the item still can lead to the same problem. This is particularly important in a household with kids where they may not know that they should give the dog something else before they get near the bone. Set the alpha relationship and do not tolerate any form of growling or biting when getting near a dog with food/bone/whatever.

Dane
Really , I would have beat that dog half to death . I own rotties and can't afford to let them get a attitude . I have a small son and his saftey depends on my training of my dogs , if my dogs show aggression they get straightened out quickly.
LP beagler from Kentucky

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

I'd tend to agree w/ Dane and Chris. I'd have smacked her hard, or put the shock collar on her and let her have it next time she growled/nipped at you.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

J.Storer

Post by J.Storer »

WHOS THE BOSS!!!!! u or the dog, u have to step up and make that dog summit to u. Grab it by the throut pin it on its back until it gives up.This is the same thing another alpha dog in a pack would do.Most beagles are really subbordanant but some need lessons. Good luck!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

J.Storer wrote:WHOS THE BOSS!!!!! u or the dog, u have to step up and make that dog summit to u. Grab it by the throut pin it on its back until it gives up.This is the same thing another alpha dog in a pack would do.Most beagles are really subbordanant but some need lessons. Good luck!

Putting it on it's back until it gives up will work on any dog I've ever seen. When I get pups I always make them roll over and I scratch their bellies, once a dog rolls over and puts his belly up he is waving the white flag and saying "you win" if you keep doing this as the pup grows he won't keep testing his oats to try and be the alpha of the pack.

TC

Post by TC »

DIXIEDOG wrote:
J.Storer wrote:WHOS THE BOSS!!!!! u or the dog, u have to step up and make that dog summit to u. Grab it by the throut pin it on its back until it gives up.This is the same thing another alpha dog in a pack would do.Most beagles are really subbordanant but some need lessons. Good luck!

Putting it on it's back until it gives up will work on any dog I've ever seen. When I get pups I always make them roll over and I scratch their bellies, once a dog rolls over and puts his belly up he is waving the white flag and saying "you win" if you keep doing this as the pup grows he won't keep testing his oats to try and be the alpha of the pack.
YES to both replies
i always roll em over grab em by the neck and show em my r
teeth heck i have even been known to growl at em...
And if they bite ME I BITE BACK HARD I will grab an ear and chomp down and tell em NO!!!!
I Am THE ALPHA not the dog!!!!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

green river

Post by green river »

TC wrote:
DIXIEDOG wrote:

YES to both replies
i always roll em over grab em by the neck and show em my r
teeth heck i have even been known to growl at em...
And if they bite ME I BITE BACK HARD I will grab an ear and chomp down and tell em NO!!!!
I Am THE ALPHA not the dog!!!!!!!

Hey TC,
I'm just wondering....You bite the dogs back? Are you updated on your shots? I'd hate for the dog to get sick :lol: You know I'm just messing with ya buddy :lol:

TC

Post by TC »

Yup am up to date On Em Eric... :lol:
As Accident prone an I am Every time I had to go to the Doc they gave me a tetnus!!!!

The Lat time JC said NAW he dont need that!!! a little LOCKJAW might be just the Thing :shock:
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be