What would be considered a cull?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sweetman6924

What would be considered a cull?

Post by sweetman6924 »

My 15 month female has been running since she was 4 months old and i do have alittle problems with her hunting far away... she's close working sometimes and sometimes when she's gone for too long. she will look for me or smell for me and if she sees me or smells me she will go back to hunting..im not sure what to do, will she learn that she doesn't need to know where i am? when she's with another dog she does alright becasue she is around the other dog. this is her first hunting season and i run her regularly. any opinions? is she a cull? or should i want a dog that i can call to a track and a dog that doesn't go far? the only problem i have with it is she could be jumping more rabbits if she went out farther because when i go with other dogs they search out farther, becuase of it they get the first rabbit started. is ther anything i can do to make my dog like that. or does it just take time?
thanks jon
my web http://www.geocities.com/jonrobla19o2/r ... nners.html
check it out and sign my guest book and tell me how you guys like it.
thanks again
jon

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

You don't really define what is "close." I prefer a hound that hunts with me versus one that ranges so far away when they jump a rabbit you are no where around. Sounds pretty normal for a young hound tho, most want to keep tabs on you at first. You said she will hunt with other hounds without worrying about you, so I don't think you have any big problems. Just keep taking her out, she will eventually range farther, packing her with other hounds where she gets away from you is a good idea....keep it up.

To answer your first question....no she is not a cull!
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

palestinian

Post by palestinian »

Online Proxy Checker: check HTTP proxies, check socks 4 / 5 proxies, socks proxy checker: http://www.socksproxylist.com

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

Sounds normal. E ven though she may not have huge hunt desire, not a cull. When she comes back to check in do not start walking and have her follow you. While she is in searching you may want to move a ways so that when she gets back to you she has new ground to search. 100 yds not too far away. Try to let her find her own rabbits in a rabbit rich environment. Avoid kicking up her rabbits or she may learn to depend on you for this. Dan
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

wvduece

x

Post by wvduece »

sounds like she is doing fine the more ya take her out n the better she controls the line she wil;l get more confidence in herself , i have had pups that wouldnt even run a rabbit but i started taking them out each time they would explore out a lil farther just looking around i guess alot of times when they would get out of my sight i would slip away from them n get them to use their nose to track me,i myself dont care what a pup starts on i have had them start on birds ,deeer other dogs but theirs good in all of that they are learning to use their nose instead of sight chases. from pups once they learn how to use that nose then their getting started off on right foot jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT