training pups to the here command

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

clousewt

training pups to the here command

Post by clousewt »

I have been using a checkcord and the tri tronics to train two Patch pups. It works like a dream, after only a few 10 minute training sessions, they both are responding to the tone only when given the command here. I read in the manual that comes with the Tri Tronics unit and if you go by what it says, you will have them listening to you in a matter of a few training sessions. I work for about 5 minutes with the checkcord and e-collar, then I turn them loose and just use the tone feature. The first couple of times off the line I had to use the shock feature but after they learn to come to tone I dont have to shock them anymore, just a call and tone and they will come.
IN GOD WE TRUST!!! Patch Power

Ark

Post by Ark »

Shock collars, when used correctly, are one of the best training tools you can use.

I dont know how I ever taught a dog anything before I finally broke down and bought one.

clousewt

dogs

Post by clousewt »

I remember having to chase and tackle my dogs to get them rounded up. They would not listen to a thing you said. Sometimes you got lucky and they came by you really close and you were able to catch them without the dive. Almost always there was one dog you had to hunt up that took forever to get when everyone was ready to leave. E-collars are a really good training tool. I have had to learn to be patient and not let my temper control the use of the e-collar. I like to try to just use the tone and here command together. Maybe someday I will work in the sit command, lol.

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

As a bonus you can teach Whoa as a command. Any time they run to the end of the rope hold on tight and say Whoa ! I like the tone feature more and more.
Anthony
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I used the Tone on mine to teach a dog to bark 3 times when I say Bark.

Now when a judge hollers under 3 minutes I just have to say ( I wish my dog would BARK).
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

clousewt

Bark

Post by clousewt »

Correct me if I am wrong Mike but isnt the dog that barks 3 times put on a clock and minused points if they dont move the line? I really believe you might be ornery enough to do something like that. lol

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Tom, No minus if the Hunt Time runs out before the 3 minutes are
up.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

A lot of beaglers teach their dogs to drop down on command instead of whoa. I have used this to actually reclaim a useless dog that could not be caught in the field because of shyness. Put the dog on a long lead and strap the shock collar on his back. Give the down command and a hand signal and show him what to do by pushing him down. Gradually the dog will learn the down and you can start forcing him to obey it with the collar. If he gets up before you get to him just put him down with the collar. You can later switch the collar to his neck and still put him down with it (on top of his neck first, then under it). The dog will become conditioned to dropping to his belly when he sees your hand signal and hears the command. Dogs that are not too shy can be force trained to come on command but I find the down is more reliable when trying to pick up a dog that is running a rabbit. Happy training!

apexpredator

Collars

Post by apexpredator »

I think all of us beaglers that was running dogs before the e-collars came out should leave tri-tronics something in our will and kick me in the rump for every time I complained about loosing the contact points for the old collars and Ivomec makers as well (filarabits god rest the daily dosages.) Mike thanks for the laugh I will never look at a bark the same way and I thought I had a angle geeez.

Keith