WHAT SHOULD I DO (ALL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED)

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

erik_herndon

WHAT SHOULD I DO (ALL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED)

Post by erik_herndon »

i have a pup that i have real high hopes for. he loves a rabbit but it seems like he doesnt care if he hunts or not. he will run the fire out of a rabbit in the pin and when he does get on one in the wild he will run it until a dog gets in front of him. when a faster dog gets in front of him it seems like hes runnin the dogs. should i get rid of him or not give up on him. all advice would be highly appreciated cause i really want him to turn out hes my first real pup.

shotgunner

Post by shotgunner »

. first what is the age of the pup.some pups take a little longer to mature than others.try running the pup with a slower dog.this will help build his confidence up.if possible i would kennel the pup with a older dog.that has plenty hunt and stays busy.at least for a week or two.the when i was taking the pup to run, take the older dog and pup leave everthing else home.most times when a pup is kennel with another dog ,it will try to dupicate the actions of the older dog.i would try this before i give up.
Kilgore's Kennels

erik_herndon

Post by erik_herndon »

the pup is 8 1/2 months old. i will try that and i appreciate the advice.

jump_dogg

Post by jump_dogg »

Erik ........what is your pup out of?

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Have you soloed him much? It is hard for a pup even at 8 1/2 months old to keep up with a running dog. The pup is just getting started and along comes the old pro and smokes the pup which ruins his confidence. Like stated before if you use a slower dog w/ the pup so the pup can keep taking the front it will work wonders on his confidence. I also kennel my pups with my best bitch to get them "acting" like her and when they hunt together they will follow her and do what she does, it helps get a pup into some really thick cover without busting brush yourself and push out tons of rabbits.