house breaking a beagle

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ohiogary

house breaking a beagle

Post by ohiogary »

I have two young beagles, like 5-6 months old, they are confined to the living room/ kitchen area of the house, it has laminate flooring , which isnt to much of a problem to clean up when they pee. Everytime I catch them peeing I yell no pee go outside, then out the door they go. This has been going on for some time now and I know they have to reach alittle age before they can even control there bladder. We also have a family dog that is completely house broke. She just goes to the door and whimpers, to go out.
I try and let them out after they eat or drink, but still no good. I am about to put the e-collar on them, but I am reluctant. Any suggestions would be appreciated. for these two are heading to the kennel with my other two adult beagles.

TC

Post by TC »

House breaking is a a job that you have to be diligent at watching them. Signs they need to go is after they eat -outside after they quit playing -outside, When they start sniffing around-outside. If not being watched place in a crate, when first let out of the crate-outside,

Since they don't have a dog door and you can't have your eyes glued on them 24-7 and easy way to get the dogs to understand to let you know when they need to go out side or want to go out side is tie a rope with a bell on it to the door handle where they can reach it, gingle the bell everytime you let them out, pretty soon they will get the idea to go over tug on the rope and you will open the door. I found that the rope and a bell on the door worked great.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

My mom has a beagle that she keep indoors and she uses the bell on a rope thing. The dog is about 8 years old now and where she has hit that bell sooo many times the door has big spots on it where the paint is chipped off. If that dog doesn't get let out the very first time it hits that bell then it gets mad and will hit the bell really really hard.
Hallelujah Kennels---Daniel Upchurch
-----------------------------------------------
LP GRRCH DU's Hallelujah Levi

ohiogary

pet door

Post by ohiogary »

I will definely try using the rope and bell trick, seems to make sense to me. And if all else fails I have thought about putting in a pet door. One thing I dont have to worry about is something coming thru the door that isnt suppose to, these girls keep and eye on things. There both house puppies, but I have never seen two youngs dogs hunt so well, they are definely the finest two hounds I have ever owned. I dont want to move them out to the kennel , for I am in fear of changing them in some undesireable way. I really appreciate all the advice.
Gary

green river

Post by green river »

If my dogs come in the house........they get broke :lol:

tkdkraig

Re: house breaking a beagle

Post by tkdkraig »

We have a new beagle pup I recieved for a stud fee. My wife claimed it and she is house breaking it. We have had alot of luck taking the pup out to the same spot every hour. Now that she has gotten older and figured it out she goes to the door and whines when she needs to go.Hope that helps.

barnold1

Re: house breaking a beagle

Post by barnold1 »

I have two male beagles. We crate trained them as pups and all went well. However, at about a year and a half old, the more dominant of the two developed the urge to start marking everything in the house and I wound up getting a kennel run outdoors for them.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE