Independant Pup

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FrancoMo1678

Independant Pup

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

I have a pup that is 8 months old and has been started running in the wild for a month or so. Problem is he will not go with the pack. We ran this afternoon and the pack jumped and was boiling it and he just went his own way and started running one by himself. Any ideas on what i should do or will he gradually get out of it.I know he is still young, but it is aggrivating.

WV Jaz

Re: Independant Pup

Post by WV Jaz »

My 8 mo. old female is doing that too and I don't know quite know how to correct her. I encourage her to go with the pack (taking her there, calling her to them) but she won't stay very long. She'll go to them when they hark sometimes, but won't always stay with them once she goes. We've been really careful with who she runs with and has always gone out with an older, slower "puppy trainer" and older experienced slower ones that haven't pressured her so I don't think it's pressure. I'm hoping other beaglers will have some suggestions as well on this problem.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

put those dogs on a lead let the other dogs go do their thing when the other dogs jump a rabbit dont let the pup go the pup will probally start jerking n pulling to get loose to go to other hounds but just keep them on the lead even if dogs come right by ya just wait till they start pulling n jerking n going crazy trying to get loose then let them go join the pack ya might have to do this a couple times but it does work or it has for me hope this helps ya guys :nod: :nod: :eyes: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

WV Jaz

Post by WV Jaz »

What a good idea :biggrin: I'm gonna try that. Thanks

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

It can take 3-10 times doing that before they like to pack. my male was the same at 8-9 months old when I started packing him. It took 3-4 times in a 2 week period before he started to pack up and probably another 5-6 times before he was a real packer. He can still be found on his own at times and he doesn't get left behind the pack, he's a front runner. I may have soloed him a little too much before I packed him, although he is a real great dog all in all.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I had one that acted like that and the way I got him packing was that I would let him start a rabbit by himself and then turn another dog loose to join him. It took a few times of this and then I let him start one and turned my pack of four others loose and he hasn't looked back and 95% of the time he is leading the pack.

WV Jaz

Post by WV Jaz »

I tried leashing my dog in the field and she responded pretty well then quite by accident I let her out with our male field champion...well well well...she prefers running with males. She wasn't in season either! After she ran 3-4 times with the boys she started packing up with whatever is on the ground with her. I think she's a little flirt though because she always runs better with males :kiss:

Sometimes it's funny finding "the key". Good luck and hang in there with your pup.