4yr old beagle needs work

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SwampBuck

4yr old beagle needs work

Post by SwampBuck »

I was given a dog by a friend, his whole life he has always hunted with a pack and in a pack he does quite well. But when I solo him, he seems to have little hunt and wont go jump his own rabbit he will wander off for about 1/2 hour then come hang by my side. He is a very good family pet so getting rid of him is not an option. What can I do to get him to jump his own rabbit? If he hunts with a pack, he will do this, just not on his own

bluemouse

Re: 4yr old beagle needs work

Post by bluemouse »

sounds like you need to get him a buddy or two, and keep feeding him rabbit tracks.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Keep doing what your doing. He must learn if there's a rabbit to be run, he must first find it for himself. Most likely he was not the jumpdawg in the pack he came from and now hasn't figured out he must do the jumping for himself... ;)
When he comes back in to you, just move him down aways into a new area that should hold rabbits and stay still and allow him to hunt. Time and his desire to run should bring him around... ;)

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

I saw this old post of mine and laughed....Cooper is a pretty darn good jump dog now!