Young Female Dog that will not Start?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Va-Beagles

Young Female Dog that will not Start?

Post by Va-Beagles »

I have a 1 1/2 year old beagle that is beautiful. When I go to the pens to let the dogs out to run she barks her fool head off (great voice). When we get in rabbits she seems to smell the rabbits, the other dogs jump and take off and she takes off(not barking) then turns right around and comes back to me. Never opening her mouth like she's afraid to get out of my sight. When we get back home and put her in the kennel she will bark like the rest of my dogs wanting to go. Somebody tell me what to do with this dog? Get rid of her or what?

green river

Re: Young Female Dog that will not Start?

Post by green river »

Depends on how much patience you have. Personally, I would'nt have the patience for it and would get rid of the dog.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Sounds like you haven't owned this hound very long and she doesn't know her pack mates...

jdn rabbit hunter

Post by jdn rabbit hunter »

i have a 8 month old pup and she is starting to run shes bred well but will not open her mouth buts shes only 8 months old and shell follow the track but wont bark

Va-Beagles

Post by Va-Beagles »

Since I posted this subject I have been working with this dog and an older dog that I own just by themselves hard. I have been taking them out every day rain or what ever the weather. I am very pleased to tell all of you that this pup has turned into a rabbit stroking machine! Finally about 4 days ago she realized what is suppose to be going on and now she is smoking. Thanks to all for all of you replies. She has even turned down deer on 4 different oppertunites. Again Thanks, and Happy Hunting, Danny

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Great job Danny, happy for you and the hound... :dance: