Need help with housebreaking my 3yr old beagle.

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SwampBuck

Need help with housebreaking my 3yr old beagle.

Post by SwampBuck »

Help! My wife is about to tell me to get rid of this dog. I got her a little over a week ago. She is 3yrs old and can run a rabbit. I got her for free out of 2 IFC hounds. She has always been an outdoor dog and we are trying to housebreak her. She has made zero progress. When she is in the house we either kennel her or watch her like a hawk. Even with everyone around, she will pee. We yell at her "NO! Potty outside!" Then I take her outside, try to make her pee and praise her for any outside potty occurences. She is a stubborn hound, is it possible to housebreak her or is she an outdoor dog for good? My wife doesnt like outdoor dogs, she wants them inside. She has a sweet temprament and is lovable and playful, but we are getting very impatient. Can anyone offer any other tips?
Last edited by SwampBuck on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwampBuck

Re: Need help with housebreaking my beagle.

Post by SwampBuck »

I know to watch for signs of needing to go, but she is constantly restless in the house, doesnt stop sniffing or moving.

WV Jaz

Re: Need help with housebreaking my 3yr old beagle.

Post by WV Jaz »

I sure hope people have some ideas on this too. I have a 15 mo. old female that I'd like to bring in the house. She's been kenneled all her life before I got her and the little witch will come in after I've had her in the field running for 2 hours and pee immediately. She loves being indoors with all of us and we love having her in too, but my husband threw a fit :bash: the last time she did it and has banned her unless I put her in her carrier,which isn't the same as letting her socialize with us.

Let's hear from some of you more experienced beaglers.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

it will take some time but she will come around.your on the right track.if you have a shock collar usd it on low setting.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

Shock her while she is peeing inside? Im not sure how to incorporate the shock collar for peeing

JesandDeb

Post by JesandDeb »

Important things...crate, watch for signs, and a feeding and drinking schedule....what goes in must come out :lol: . Also, I read after cleaning up a mess in the house, hit it with an oder neutralizer....it (changes) the urine scent or alters it :idea: . Our puppy is doing so good for as young as he is....oh, and BE UNDERSTANDING ;) ....it may take some time.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

you have to catch them in the act and shock themi'ts not easy but i've done it.i'v house broke over a dozen beagles and curently have seven in the house.i find females easyer to break. also keep them confined to one room with gates. it should be the room you spend the most time in. use vinegar diluted in water 50/50 to spray the pee spots. it contains uric acid just like pee. then spray the dog in the face with it. this aserts your dominence.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

5 days no mistakes

WV Jaz

Post by WV Jaz »

Swampbuck: Way to go! I was going to try to get my girl back in the house some and work with her and of course the best laid plans....she came in heat :roll: Now coming back in is out. Hope yours continues to do well.

thh058

Post by thh058 »

i got my beagle when she was 4 months old. when she peed on the floor, i'd rub her nose in it and smack her butt like i meant it. the threw her outside for a few minutes to see if she had to finish. it didn't take long for her to figure out what she needed to do. now when she has to go to the bathroom she goes to the door.

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

She is doing very well. She doesnt have my 100% trust like my male, but she is doing alot better. But last week, she jumped on my bed and laid down with my wife, after a few minutes, she stood up lifted her leg and started to go, my wife screamed at her and she stopped and went to the door, she is not allowed upstairs anymore, But can roam around the downstairs.