Help me please

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JesandDeb

Help me please

Post by JesandDeb »

I got a problem :shock: ......Cute and pretty as he is, this almost 7 month old is becoming territorial. And I'm finding myself not trusting him at times that I need to handle him. He's starting to make contact with my body parts :shock: :angryfire: , if I have to get something out of his mouth he SHOULD'NT have, or moving him out of an unsafe or bad, or comfy situation, and a rather large area he claims when it's meal time :shock: . He's rather serious about all this too, and I try to scold him and shake him silly by his collar, but it's not getting through to him. I can feel he knows he is scaring me too :( . How can I get on top of this.....and HIM?????

bigjohn

Re: Help me please

Post by bigjohn »

E-collar

nb11

Post by nb11 »

You have to show him that you are the head of your pack. One way or another. I'll second bigjohns post. knock the guts out of him with the E collar the next couple times he tries it. If that don't work, then get ugly with him.
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap."

ArrowsFlight

Post by ArrowsFlight »

Is he fixed? If not he's feeling his oats and probably spoiling to prove himself as top dog. So you might want to look into that and then you can take a look at the long-winded post I wrote to "mean beagle puppy" before I realized the op was months old. :oops:

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

next chance you get put the E-Collar on him and let him sit for awhile with it on without using it and leave him alone for awhile and then go out there and interact with him and as soon as he does some dummy thing have that ecollar cranked all the way up and show him who's the leader and then tell him no to what he is doing but make sure you do it at the time he is doing it otherwise it will have been a useless wake up to him!!!! Hope this helps good luck to you
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

My male at that age was somewhat the same. After a REAL crack to the rear or head a few times he started to listen. I would put my hand down by his bowl when I fed him, if he growled he got it hard! and I threw him out on a lead. You got to show him who's boss.
My friends 8 year old has gotten worse like this. They had a guy come in and show them how to teach him who is boss.
He put a leash on him and put food in the bowl, if the dog growled at him when he reached for the food, he would jerk the leash and hold the dog in the air with just his toes touching. After 3 times the dog stopped growling and got the idea.
He also said to keep him off the couch as this gives the dog a feeling of being a boss. Done the same thing with the leash. His dog after 8 years now will not go on the couch and does not growl etc.
The guy does this for a living and said he would have results in 1 hour. He was correct.
I have a 4 month old now that may need some of this training soon too.