Will it ever come out of it

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SmoothDogg

Will it ever come out of it

Post by SmoothDogg »

I am new to beagle hunting and I have a pair of 5 month old beagles. I was out in the feild and shot my 20 gauge, it didnt bother the female, but it shook the male up quiet a bit. He would not come back to me and he actually would run from me when I tried to catch him. Will this dog ever get out of this or do I need to start looking for another pup??

Any input will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks and God Bless,
Josh
Josh Jones (606) 813-6028
(606) 596-0538

mtneerbp

Re: Will it ever come out of it

Post by mtneerbp »

Well Josh was your dogs running a rabbit when you shot
was he close to you when you shot
was his mind on scent or what
if you just shot while your dog was close by and not running scent I would say you are on your way to making him gun shy
I have a question for you if you were out in your yard and just relaxing in your lawn chair and someone came up behind you and shot a shotgun what would you do My bet is you would jump out of your skin lol
Not saying you did this but I have seen guys do this time and time again and wonder why their dog was gun shy and your pup is really just a baby so be careful what you do around him you need to earn his trust back if he isnt a shy pup I would say you can bring him back to trusting you again just be careful with him
BOB POST
MTNEER KENNELS
NORTH CENTRAL WV

BY HIS BLOOD I AM FORGIVEN

moonshinekennel

Post by moonshinekennel »

I agree with the above. Try inroducing lound sounds at feeding time. Bang the ice and sonw ect out of your pans then feed your dogs. This links something very good to something a little scary "lound noise". Then prasie your dogs as they eat. Do this every day when you feed.
Dale
Ensure the future of our sport, take a child hunting and fishing.

Moonshinekennel@hotmail.com

windy hollow

Post by windy hollow »

I never try to shoot over young hounds until I take em hunting and after their running rabbits and if they go back to the truck they are given to a good home for a pet the next day...........................havent had one yet in over 40 years. :D
WINDY HOLLOW BEAGLES

Richard

Post by Richard »

mtneerbp wrote:Well Josh was your dogs running a rabbit when you shot
was he close to you when you shot
was his mind on scent or what
if you just shot while your dog was close by and not running scent I would say you are on your way to making him gun shy
I have a question for you if you were out in your yard and just relaxing in your lawn chair and someone came up behind you and shot a shotgun what would you do My bet is you would jump out of your skin lol
Not saying you did this but I have seen guys do this time and time again and wonder why their dog was gun shy and your pup is really just a baby so be careful what you do around him you need to earn his trust back if he isnt a shy pup I would say you can bring him back to trusting you again just be careful with him
Do this. Good advise.

I never shoot around my hounds at a young age unless they are in full cry and not close to me.
Arkansas Oak Hill Kennels