Hanging up on the check????

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Hanging up on the check????

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Well a friend of mine called me today to meet him after work to watch his new beagle he just bought and give him my opinion on what i thought.
The beagle is around 2-2 1/2 yrs old seemed well bred with very good confirmation, but i noticed that the hound would strike a rabbit but keep hanging up and never making forward progress on the track to the point that we would have to call or pull him off the track.
At 1st he struck in a wood pile and keep barking and trying to get to what seemed to be that the rabbit was still in there.
But after about 30 mins of given him the benefit i ask him to pull the hound and he did. Now when we walked around this large wood pile the hounds struck again in the open and hung up on the track. i mean just working a 20 yd circle, never making forward progress on the track.
This hound do it repeatable on every track we dropped him on.

Now my thoughts on this is,the hound is 2 1/2 yrs old and the damage is done and nothing can get him out of this, even solo, solo,solo time or packing? I think he should get his money back on the hound and shop else where if he can?
If not is there any thing he can do to maybe pull this dog out of hanging and barking on the track?
I have handle hounds for a good number of years but i have never witness anything this bad.
It's like the hound has a bad nose,or or unsure of himself or what to do next?????
Whats your opinion on this.

Thanks
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

Dale D

Re: Hanging up on the check????

Post by Dale D »

Get his money back for sure. :D :D
Dale

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Dale thats what i told him today. We took him out with my season hounds and he packed and keep up pretty good and pulled out some pretty good checks, but my hounds had to make the forward push on the rabbits. i even seen some back tracking in him today when we leashed my 2 hounds up to watch him run a track alone???????? :loser:

But any way he told me that he didn't think he could get his money back and after talking more about it with him i can see why. He bought him on the mans word and did not watch him run!!!!
Bad mistake on his part.

I really hate this for him and would like to give him some advice on what to do other than give the hound away and take a loss, but i have never dealt with this bad of a problem in all my years of fooling with hounds?

So i plan on leaving this up for a while to see if i can get some input that maybe of help. As for me i would take my losses and go on.

I sure hate it for him and you always try to help your beagle buddies if ya can.

Thanks
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

i guess he will be moved on down the road as a fixed pet.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

A pet home sounds about right. Don't know how much he spent, but it is a lesson learned the hard way. Hate it for him though.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Me to, but i will have to say i have been trying to help him out buy soloing him in my running pen and i will say for a hound at that age is showing some results????????? Yeah really, but i have solo him for him for the last few days and i tried to get some video of him to post to show this hound is making forward progression on the track now. Not like he should but a heck of a lot better than i have seen him do. And he was even showing some foot and hunt???

My buddy came over to watch him today and he couldn't believe that was the same hound, so maybe you can teach a old dog new tricks??????

I have to say i like a challenge. He may not make a Champ but he may make a good enough hound that maybe my Buddy will have a hound that will run a bunny back to gun for pleasure hunting.

Sure hate to see a pal get a beating on a hound.
Maybe one day he will run him for the feller who sold him and make him sick. Thats what i like to see. :nod:
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

windy hollow

Post by windy hollow »

I saw Beagles do that before, they were called Traditional Brace Hounds. :lol:
WINDY HOLLOW BEAGLES

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Well i'm running him alot of brace, solo and pack with solid hounds and he has stop the back tracking,will solo his own rabbit with foot, and is pushing the track really well. He even showing gears to him where he stops on a dime in a check, hits it and hammers on.i really am starting to like him. he is showing some good results.i believe he finally got it.
I'm fixen to turn him back over to him, i think he ready to get the job done now.
But i will say it's been alot of work, but it's worth it to watch him smile when we run him and that means a lot to me.
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

glad your helping your buddy out ya know alot of these dog traders dont have a clue what they have or get on a trade i baught a grade gun dog once that came from a dog trader now this dog trader will scorch your azzz in a heart beat if ya arent very careful i got this dog from another guy that did some work for the trader paid 575 bucks for a grade dog that dog turned out to be the best gun dog i have ever owned he would still be heading my kennells if i hadnt run over him with my truck now that really hurt nuff said :lol: :lol: :lol:
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

Yeah ya kinda got to watch for them dog traders, but i believe he has learn his lesson the hard way.
His dog is not perfect by no means but he can run a rabbit good enough to hunt over. He told me the other day he is running him solo about 2-4 days a week, we ran him with a couple of my season hounds a few weeks back and he did not have the foot and was running with his head up to stay with the pack, but when they would hang up on the checks that hound would work it inside and out until he got that rabbit up, so if nothing else he got a good jump dog, i sure wished we had him at the floods at the Ky State hunt. lol

Thanks wvduece

Donnie
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys