8 month old Female - question

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Tellico Hunter

8 month old Female - question

Post by Tellico Hunter »

I just got a 8 month female bluetick beagle pup the other day. Have had her since Thursday of last week. She is very nervous/shy dog. When she comes up to me she holds down to the ground. How can I help her along to get out of this. When she is not coming to me or the family, she is all over the place/very active. It is almost like maybe she was mistreated a little bit. Also, this may be a stupid question to some, but my papaw always said a stupid question is the question not asked. I read about grade dogs. What does "grade" mean when talking about beagles. I use to raise tree/coon dogs and have never heard this term used.

windy hollow

Re: 8 month old Female - question

Post by windy hollow »

OK, now I have had Beagles that I know were never mistreated and still acted the way your describing and eventually they adjust, not entirely but they adjust to where you can deal with them MOST TIMES.
A grade beagle is a Beagle without papers. My dad always said a beagle with papers wont go in the brush ............. their afraid they'll tear their papers on the briars :lol:
He always told me a registered Beagle would be too high strung, because of the breeding being too close, of coarse that can be true, if your not careful but I now have different ideas about all that, I have AKC Registered Beagles and we have a lot of FC. Venn's Dutch Charlie K breeding in our Kennel. Ironically enough my name is Charlie and my wifes name is Kay but that was not intended. :lol:
We like to think of that as "Line Breeding" not inbreeding.
WINDY HOLLOW BEAGLES