Your opinion on her first turn out please

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

harechaserWV

Your opinion on her first turn out please

Post by harechaserWV »

I'm new to rabbit hunting, I've always coonhunted but recently decided to try my hand in beagles. It's been fun and exciting so far. I took my female out for her first time and would like some some opinions as how you think she did. She is 9 months old and was given to me. They said she would run a rabbit, not knowing for sure I bought a cottontail buck that was hutch raised. I took the rabbit and the dog into a fenced in run, I turned the rabbit loose in front of the dog then turned her loose. She stayed on his tail for a while until she lost him. She then backtracked the scent, found him and ran him into a brush pile were she caught him. How is that for her first turn out? Like I said I don't know if she is already runnin a little and showing good potential or just acting on instinct.

beagle crazy

Re: Your opinion on her first turn out please

Post by beagle crazy »

Whatever you want to call it, it sounds good to me! :nod: There are several "Puppy pens" in the area go can take her too to see what she'll do on a wild rabbit. Nice fenced environment where you can watch the pup and the bunny and se exactly what's going on.