Gay Bloodline

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cburchett77

Gay Bloodline

Post by cburchett77 »

A while back I had got my mind set on going to all Gay Bloodline. I have done a lot of research and talking and have come to the conclusion that that line would suit me.I have purchased a couple of young dogs and tried out a couple. I even had one given to me. All but one dog has been real shy. Shy to a point of not being able to catch. That was five dogs that i had an experience with, not to mention the ones that I had looked at and noticed they where timid from the start. All but one dog that come in my kennel was shy. I am starting to notice a pattern. I was wondering if anyone else is having that problem or has noticed it? Some people like a one man dog, but not me. I like a dog that when someone wants to look at it at the kennel it will not run and hide. I like a very friendly and outgoing dog. I am not blaming anyone or complaining, but I am to the point where am questioning my decision. If it is something that is in the Gay line, what is another line that is an upper medium speed type dog, outgoing, hard hunting, and has the looks to boot. I guess that perfect hound!

Cliff n.

Re: Gay Bloodline

Post by Cliff n. »

i have about 8 beagles that are in the gay blood line, they are running deer. they run very hard everyday i turn them out.. they are hard headed i have trouble calling them off...they will not quit!!!!!!!!!! not shy at all.. i do have a male when in the kennel all he wants to do is sleep and snore.....thats a good bloodline....no shyness with these..

bill huttozac

Re: Gay Bloodline

Post by bill huttozac »

Cburchett77 - I hope that the dogs that you had initially did not sour you on the Gay bloodline. Let me assure your that shyness is not a genetic trait with these dogs. As in any bloodline, there are dogs with undesirable traits, be it shyness, weak mouths, too much mouth, lack of hunt, poor nose, hyperactivity, crooked front end or dwarfisim. This is normally the result of careless breeding or poor treatment (lack of socilization)of the dog in it's early developement stage. Gay bred beagles are like other bloodlines, they love people and are extroverts by nature.
I believe that with the exception of a pup, when you buy a dog, you buy someone else's cull. I well understand that you are not blaming anyone, nor should you. The mistake was not being well aquainted with the dog before you laid your money down. Having said all of this, I too, have made that mistake several times. The important thing here is that a fault in a dog is peculiar to that dog only and not the bloodline.