Brand new to hunting with hounds

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FCGS

Brand new to hunting with hounds

Post by FCGS »

Hello,

Although I am brand new to the site, and this is my first time posting here, I have been reading various posts and have learned a lot of useful information.

I have hunted over hounds in the past but have never owned my own hounds. My wife is very interested in hunting hares. I have a friend in the southern part of New Hampshire that has offered to run his dogs for us so she can see how it is done. In talking with him further, he offered me his 7yo male NKC beagle that hunts hard. He has had him for sale (all done with his breeding program) and actually felt better giving him to me rather than selling him. I was talking with a co-worker who said he had a Blue Tick/Beagle cross that is 5 months old that he was looking to give away. I took the BT/Beagle and he is appears to be quite the pup. I have trained other hunting dogs in the past, just not beagles. I have started basic obedience with the pup and he is right where I think he should be at.

I would like to continue to train him while I wait for the 7yo to arrive. In the meantime, what should I do? I have a camp that has hares behind it. Should I take him up there and let him begin solo or should I wait until the other dog arrives and run them together?

Thanks in advance, Ben

here is a pic of the pup

S.R.Patch

Re: Brand new to hunting with hounds

Post by S.R.Patch »

If your pup is handling well, walks in the woods with him would be great. He will learn to trust you and learn to keep track of your location, just walk out to a good rabbity spot and have a seat, let the pup explore and learn to use his nose.
Hopefully your new older male will be good nature'd about the pup and they will become good kennel mates. Go see the male he's offered you run, he may be good to start your pup with or he may have weaknesses you don't want your pup to pick up when just getting started. If he's to fast or rough, the pup may spent more time with you anyway.
Nothing wrong with a pup having some idea what he's doing before he goes out with other hounds. I say go for it and build the bond with your pup... ;)