shy dog

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

team fudd

shy dog

Post by team fudd »

I am new to this forum but unfortuanately a little grey in the beard and no stranger to rabbit hunting, I have a pup who was raised entirely by me from the age of six weeks on. She has developed some degree of shyness, not wanting to come out of the back of her kennel at feeding time etc. Last night after running she didnt want to come and I think has developed a hatred for riding in the box as she cowers every time she has to get in and doesnt load very easy. She is just starting now, at a year old, which for my dogs is somewhat late, and she has circled her own rabbit in the wild twice, my problem is my puppy trainer has a very high pitched squall mouth and she sounds about like she is gettin electroshock therapy when she hammers a rabbit. Problem is she runs a textbook rabbit but scares the tar out of the pup who runs the other way! I have soloed her some and I think I am going to have to resort to that but any body got any ideas as to how to get her out of the shy thing? She has never been beat to my knowledge, I asked my wife who feeds occasionally and she says she never even raises her voice in the kennels, any help? thanks much, you guys are always full of good ideas. Team FUDD

ironjawdawgs

Re: shy dog

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Puting them on a chain while out around the kennels during the day has seemed to help other dogs some in the past. However, you know as well as I do that each dog is different. Good luck with you hound.

RHYRE

Post by RHYRE »

Try table scraps. I bought a female that was a year old and she too wouldn't come out of the box at feeding time. Everyday at feeding time I would take her a treat ( left over meat, or a couple peices of lunch meat) I would tear it into several peices and give them to her. Now she meets me at the kennel door.

hinklehollowbeagles

Post by hinklehollowbeagles »

i bought a female like that and i tied her a bout 35 feet away from where i park my pick up so she seen me an who ever came to visit an had them go up to pet her an when i fed she would go the other way so i would pull her back an stand beside her while she ate . also had my boy play with her every day . an give her treats .after about a month she was a diffrent dog any body can catch her or feed an she meets them at the gate. one exseption when in heat she will shy away but not as bad as when i got her. dont know what that has to do with it .
RCH BCH HINKLE'S SINGING SALLY
RCH GR B.CH PRIDE HILL BLUE BRANDY
RCH B .CH HINKLE HOLLOWS WV HILLBILLY