HOW DO I

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

duke85

HOW DO I

Post by duke85 »

Like I start off all my post im still new to the game. After checking out Skyview Beagle videos on youtube, after he kills a rabbit the dogs brings it back to him. My dog if they get to it before i do they eat it . How can i get my beagles to do that????
thanks if you can help me
Duke85

just for fun beagler

Re: HOW DO I

Post by just for fun beagler »

i taught mine to play fetch when they was young started by throwing a sock with rabbit sent down the hall and had them bring it back then i took a rabbit and had them bring it back so far it has worked. i am sure there is other ways but this is what worked for me
Home Of:
GRPCH Platts Rowdy Molly Bell
GRHBCH Halfway Frenchmans Mazie
Platts Princess Missy Wine
The up and comeing:
Platts Halfway Trails Briar Buster
Platts DT Striker Jr

IndyBeagler

Post by IndyBeagler »

A tri tronics system will help alot for this training, especially to keep them from eating up your rabbit. If you purchase a Tri Tronics training system it will come with a really good video on how to train your hounds for alot of different things including retrieving. It also shows you how to break your hounds of undesireable habbits. It really helps and it is a valuable asset to any beagler! I personally prefer the Tri Tronics Classic 70 EXP model, it is all a beagler really needs at a good price and excellent reputation. Good luck!

RHYRE

Post by RHYRE »

I have a young female that I am working with right now. She has retrieved the last 15 rabbits I have shot. I never played fetch with her. I used the tone button on my shock collar to teach her to come to me. The first rabbit I shot for her she picked it up and when the other dogs got there she ran with it. The next one she did the same thing but instead of me chasing her down I hit the tone button hoping just to get her to drop the rabbit but she brought it right to me. I still have to hit the tone button about half of the time but she has not missed a retrieve since. I have other dogs that won't fool with a rabbit after it is dead. I think it just depends on the dog. I hope this helps