need some advice

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

just for fun beagler

need some advice

Post by just for fun beagler »

i need some advice. i have a 1 yr old male that wont get in the briars. he will run the rabbit up till it goes to the briars then he lets the other dogs chase it through there and he will circle around and pick it up when it hits the tall grass.if he cant circle around he tip toes through the briars till he gets to the open buy then the other dogs are so far ahead of him. there is no getting read of him because in the open and in the tall grass he will flat out fly.my question is is there anything i can do to get him to run the rabbit through the briars like he is suppose to? thanks for any advice.
Home Of:
GRPCH Platts Rowdy Molly Bell
GRHBCH Halfway Frenchmans Mazie
Platts Princess Missy Wine
The up and comeing:
Platts Halfway Trails Briar Buster
Platts DT Striker Jr

Black Rock Kennels

Re: need some advice

Post by Black Rock Kennels »

I would solo him alot
Home of Black Rock Kennels
LPRCH Powerhouse's Sarge

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

maybe there is somethings about the brush he doesn't like , try going in the brush and see if he will go with you, when I start a dog i will be the leader and go in the brush and track myself and bark a bit, sounds dumb but it works

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

If a beagle won't go in the thick stuff when a rabbit is up and running I don't think there will be a cure, and how many times are you going to get a rabbit to stay in the open. If he didn't change quick I personally would cull it.

hillsidebeagles

Post by hillsidebeagles »

I give him a few weeks and then cull him
Hillside Beagles
Hunting And Raiseing puppys