need some advice

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

618 kevin

need some advice

Post by 618 kevin »

I have a young dog that will not come to me in the field? When we are in the kennel or in the yard she was fine. I just bought her lil or a week ago. She ran great with my other dog but will not come need me(acts very scared). Does anybody have any suggestions how to bring her in. I left her there came back and she come out but only about 10-15 feet from me. So she is out the tonight and I go back before work and after . Thanks for ANY help kevin

just for fun beagler

Re: need some advice

Post by just for fun beagler »

try coaksing it with food.
Home Of:
GRPCH Platts Rowdy Molly Bell
GRHBCH Halfway Frenchmans Mazie
Platts Princess Missy Wine
The up and comeing:
Platts Halfway Trails Briar Buster
Platts DT Striker Jr

618 kevin

Post by 618 kevin »

I tried that tonight. When you make any movement she bolts. I got about 3-4 feet closer tonight. I am thinking about taking my other dog out there tommorrow and maybe she will come with him? what do you think?

bigriver

Post by bigriver »

sounds goood to take other dog ouy
i give my dogs treat in kennel iblow whistle before they get treat usually a hot dog
i also put shocking collars on dogs or leave them on after running then when i tone them while in kennel at feeding time they get treat
eventually week maybe two when you call out in the field if the dont come i tone or use whistle and they are at my feet
if that doesnt help skip a meal every once in a a while and only give treat at tone or whistle they will eventually figure it out
if you didnt raise this dog from pup maybe someone has shocked at the truck
TIM MARSHALL
765-299-3699
BIGRIVERBEAGLES.COM
HOME OF:
PCH GRHBCH BIG RIVER SADIE
PCH BIG RIVER MAGGIE
PCH BIG RIVER JAKE
PCH BIG RIVER JACK
PCH BIG RIVER TRAPPER
HBCH BIG RIVER COCO

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

tie a piece of weed eater string on her collar next time and you can catch her about ten feet will do it, she can run with this on her and not get tangled up, good luck

FrancoMo1678

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

i got one that is the same way , i use the weedeater string and i can catch her that way . Do you think i can train her with the shock collar ? she is 15 months old and never had a collar on ?

618 kevin

Post by 618 kevin »

I got her back and the weedeater string is workin she is still very shy

chanks

Post by chanks »

I am by no means an expert on training beagles. Just from my own experences with a shy beagle, a shock collar is not the way to go. I use about a 50 foot check cord, and some kibble in a belt pouch. I work her a couple times a day on this long line. she comes, she gets a treat. I tried a collar on her and had a major regression. she went from a tail up sniffing machine to a tucked tail little girl that was afraid to even come to the kids to get a kibble. it took a total of 2 shocks on level 2. all of the wonderful progress that we had made went out the window and now we have to build the trust over again. she is almost 10 months old. my advice is to take your time and get a long light rope that is pretty tough and move from her comfort zone. take her to the place that you are going to hunt and work her there, thus letting her know that no matter where you are she needs to come when called, just my 2 pennies.
Home of:
Scroghams-Little Star http://espomagazine.com/pedigrees/12979.htm
Hanks's Joie de Vivre