Back tracking

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mikes

Back tracking

Post by mikes »

I have a 2yr old Beagle from good bloodlines I took her out yesterday hunting the weather was cold and there was about 5 inches of old snow very crusty. She jumped a rabbit ran it in a circle but then seemed to keep running the same track I never saw the rabbit after the first time.She has never done this before that I know of. I am new to beagling and I would like to know why and how I can fix it.

cpuckett

Re: Back tracking

Post by cpuckett »

ive have seen several dogs do this at times,mostly this time of the season when sentin is bad,i guess that it just smells stronger to them for some reason.ive seen dogs that know better do it,old or young i think there are alot of dog that will do it during bad weather and rough sentin.they are just dogs and they make mistakes just like we do we are not perfect.and i have never owned or seen a perfect dog.if this dog did it all the time or made a habit of it i would worry about it,but it could have just been a bad day.
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

RunninHard

Re: Back tracking

Post by RunninHard »

cpuckett wrote:ive have seen several dogs do this at times,mostly this time of the season when sentin is bad,i guess that it just smells stronger to them for some reason.ive seen dogs that know better do it,old or young i think there are alot of dog that will do it during bad weather and rough sentin.they are just dogs and they make mistakes just like we do we are not perfect.and i have never owned or seen a perfect dog.if this dog did it all the time or made a habit of it i would worry about it,but it could have just been a bad day.

X2