Whistle?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rockdog

Whistle?

Post by Rockdog »

Anyone use a whistle in the field with their beagles? I don't have a loud voice,and was curious if anyone uses a whistle as an attention getter bunny hunting.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Re: Whistle?

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

once you go to a whistle you'll never go back. look at wallmart in the camping section. they have a survival whistle with a compass and thermometer for about four bucks. very loud.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

20guage1

Post by 20guage1 »

I would have to agree, a whistle saves ur voice, and is highly effective on windy days, and when the hound just dosent feel like responding to the spoken word.

Rockdog

Post by Rockdog »

I never really considered the wind. Makes good sense to me. I think I'll work one into my training.

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

I've often thought about using a whistle during training and running my dogs. Maybe even a Bosun's Whistle so I can use different commands. Figure if it can be heard on a windy deck then it should work alright out in the woods.

BigStrutter

Post by BigStrutter »

I use a whistle and love it. Two short burst means come and one long loud one I use to get there attention if they are being stubborn. I trained mine to respond by putting them on a long rope and blowing the whistle and pulling the rope. When they would come I would reward them with a treat.

Ned

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Im going to try this also, sounds like a good thing, I hate yelling for the dogs

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I train mine to the whistle along with the tone on the e-collar and it does save your voice.

Hand_beagler

Post by Hand_beagler »

is that all you can really do to train come with a whistle is use a check cord and blow the whistle and pull them into you and reward. then repeat...and repeat...and repeat? Could you collar condition them to come? I also have a lab that I hunt and run field trials with and have wondered if I could use the same methods with the lab as with my beagles.
Handridge Kennels
Good ol' Tennessee Briar Bustin' Hounds

DJC

Post by DJC »

I run with an older gentleman who has a horn and suprisingly my dogs came to him blowing that horn right off the bat. I would laugh at him but now I gave in and bought one its called a Harking Horn got it from Eisunhunt. I hunt with my brothers and run dogs with several different people and everyones dogs come when I blow the horn. It works great.

dfunkdf

Post by dfunkdf »

I don't have a loud voice either and have a whistle won't go to the feild without it

TC

Post by TC »

I use a whistle and I love it I too hate yelling for a dog. For some reason they seem to come really fast when I use my whistle, maybe because they hear it better and it don't seem to echo off the country side and confuse them as to where I am.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be