Is this normal?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rockdog

Is this normal?

Post by Rockdog »

Hi all. I have been working with Chopper and a wild rabbit. He really gets into it when the bunny is in the crate. I have it in one of those wire mesh kennels for a smaller dog. He will circle the crate and bawl up a storm. I praise him and he seems to understand what he was born to do. But,when I lay out a trail for him with the same rabbit, he doesn't seem to make the connection. He is nose to the ground and hunting,but you wouldn't know there was a rabbit through there 5 minuets ago. He strays from the trail and has trouble sorting things out. Should I continue along this line or try something else? Thanks a bunch everyone,Rockdog.

PAhardwoods

Re: Is this normal?

Post by PAhardwoods »

how old is chopper?? I may give him a sight chase and once he looses the rabbit see if he can work it out and pick the trail back up and get it started again
Hunt to live, Live to hunt

Rockdog

Post by Rockdog »

Chopper will be 10 months the 16th of April. I would love to find a training pen nearby to try him in. If for no other reason than to give him a good overdose of bunny in a controled environment.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Some start earlier then others but yes a site chase will do him good, Keep working him and he will pick it up, he is still young