Growling Biting Beagle

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mistrish

Growling Biting Beagle

Post by mistrish »

I have a beagle who is now 6 months old purchased at 4 months old. He is truly a joy but has a problem with getting too excited and then becomes agressive and growls and bites.

Usually this happens when walking on the lead. He starts to run back and forth and then really fast then he starts to growl and then as he passes by running jumps and tries to nip me. Also sometimes in the house he will just start barking for no reason at me and then when I turn to leave or walk away he tries to nip the backs of my knees and legs.

Last night was the last straw when he was downstairs and I told him to get upstairs. When trying to give him a little push to get him going up the stairs he reacted violently and bit me so hard he broke the skin on my hand. It's a nasty bite.

Is this normal and I just have to break him of this habit or could this be a nurological problem?

Should I seek a vets opinion or get him enrolled in obedience school asap?

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

How attached are you to this hound?

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

When he does this crap try grabbing him and pin him on the floor on his back with your hand on his neck so he cant bite you and hold him there. Make sure he knows your not happy. Leave him in this position till he acts scared and gives up. It doesnt sound like he knows who the boss is or he thinks he is.
Crane Creek Kennels

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

It's tough to say anything without seeing these items firsthand.

We have a female that tugs aggressively on the leash sometimes, and she also bites at my pants leg or the tongue of a tennis shoe. She's rough, but it's a form of play to her.

Unfortunately, she has also bitten us out of fear (she was a hand-shy fear-biter when we got her and was probably abused) a few times...those were not playful incidents.

We've worked long and hard to (1) let her know that she's not the boss and (2) let her know that she's a loved member of our family that we will not hurt.

I would call a trainer ASAP and have them evaluate the dog to see what they think.

HukeOKC

Post by HukeOKC »

Sounds like the dog needs to learn who the Alpha in the house is. You need to establish this soon or you will have a very difficlut time in the future.

mmccluskey

Post by mmccluskey »

You might try a muzzle. There are some pretty humane one's out there that allow for enough mouth movement that they can drink with it on. We had problems when our pup got too excited...we would put the muzzled on him and he was a whole new dog. It got the point that all we had to do was bring it out and set it on the table and he would mellow out. Now that he's older the problem is gone...in fact he has such a good disposition that our 11 month old daughter climbs all overhim and simply walks away when he's had enough.

Good luck.

kjohns

Post by kjohns »

This is a beagle? I've never in my life heard of a beagle being this aggressive.

Hunter

agressive pup

Post by Hunter »

I have a pup that started out where he would break the skin when he bit. He would also get wild when you tried to hold him and wiggle and bite at you. Needless to say I showed him who the alpha male was LOL, I bit him on the ear. This took several different instances and I increased the pressure each time. I also growled at him when he acted agressive, even with food plus I like to stick my hands down around the food bowl while they are eating. THEY NEED TO KNOW WHO THE BOSS IS PERIOD. Just my 2 cents but, it may sound a little crazy. Paul

Mistrisha

Growling Biting Beagle Resolved

Post by Mistrisha »

The Growling Biting Beagle Bites no More

I had tried everything and then finally I found the fix. Or should I say fixes there were a few adjustments to make and voila. No more biting.

#1 A water bottle to squirt him with when he gets nasty

#2 A choker chain to attach a leash in the house to restrain him if he gets out of hand and make him sit

#3 A long heart to heart with my 11 year old son who would wrestle with the dog while I was at work. This would get the dog very excited and he would start growling and biting thinking it was play time.

He now knows he is not the alpha/boss and is finally submitting himself to that fact. We have Victory but are not completely out of the woods yet. Dog school and trainers advice has also helped. I tried to be forceful with him at first but that just made him worse. Now we praise him when he has been good. :D :D