starting pen and pup trainer in ky

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

handhfarms

starting pen and pup trainer in ky

Post by handhfarms »

im looking for a reputable trainer to start a pup and a couple more this summer! i have a female that i have worked wiyh here at my place and
have had her out hunting with my dogs three times. i need someone who can start her and run her a couple of months for me. i think she is on her way
she has her nose to the ground and will hunt when the other dogs get the rabbit up and moving she is opening but she cant keep up with them yet and i no
that she doesnt need to just be turned out and running with them yet! im looking for someone in reasonable driving distance three hours would be fine. i live around elizabethtown
ky area

if you no someone you could recommend would be greatly appreciated!
i ve talked with K&A beagles and im thinking about going with keith just wondered if there were any more people out there

Thanks
Bryan

ulerybeagler

Re: starting pen and pup trainer in ky

Post by ulerybeagler »

bryan maybe none of my buisness but brother if she is running with her nose to the ground and going with the dog dont take her to the starting pen because most guys will tell you that once she starts that she needs to be out of the pen

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

I took my pup to Mike Klaiber. She had never even saw a rabbit before and he had her started in about two weeks. I think he did a really good job getting her started, but I don't think that he would keep a dog for that length of time. He told me the same thing that Ulerybeagler said...once they get started you want to get them outta the pens and start hunting them or running them in the woods.

Matt

lowell robertson

Post by lowell robertson »

I have a friend who starts pups in the wild. Works them at least 5 days a week. He is good with pups. He gets 100.00 per month. Phone #270 378-5937

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Sounds like you have the hard part over with,She needs a old ,honest hound that she can run with and learn from.Even after you get her started she will still need something to run with.I don't run my pups with my grown dogs untill i am sure that they have enough abillity and foot that they won't be stressed to much.They can develop bad habits or worse.....I blew up one of the nicest male pups I have ever owned years ago.All I had to do was wait another 2 or 3 mos.before I introduced him to the pack full time.But he was so good I couldn't wait,and it was about the 8th time out one of those days the senting is just perfect,they were really locking on and driving, he went nuts,never was the same again.I think they suffer a nervious breakdown when this happens.