Shy and Timid Beagle

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

KYbeagler52

Shy and Timid Beagle

Post by KYbeagler52 »

i just got this pup hes about 16 months old and in the field he is a great dog very hard hunter and can burn it up on a track but he is very shy and wont get really close to you. so this makes it hard to catch him. in the kennel he does the same stuff, he acts like im gonna kick him or hit him. im starting to get really frustrated with this pup :???:

: when i feed him ive started giving him all kinds of attention and petting him. any of you all had dogs like this if so what did u do :?:

havenskennels

Re: Shy and Timid Beagle

Post by havenskennels »

start givin it a treat everytime you call it or reach in to feed it. I have a female that acted like that and this really helped.
Home of.
LPRCH Double A Road (RAGE)
Tucker's Oreo (Cookie)
Havens' got (Goose) bumps
Havens' (NITRO)

TC

Post by TC »

This is the best thing for a timid dog. Attention, Attention and more Attention. If you have kids turn them loose on the pup. House dog time is another big difference. You would be surprised at how a week or two of being a house dog will make a timid dog into the most behaved and loving dog you ever did see. Snacks, dogs love snacks especially meat cooked with garlic. You have some of that you instantly turn into a beagles best friend.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

hillsidebeagles

Post by hillsidebeagles »

I tell you what i done on the last one i had. I bought 2 pups just cause no body could handle them they was 6 months old when i got them. i think they was around 10 - 12 months old but i tie them to a rope about 30 feet and i held on the other end i would call them and pull them to me about 12 times then i turn my e- collor down real low and lightly nudge them and pull them to me real quick after a few days as soon i hollow for them they would come to me and i set down in the yard and just play with them a lot now i can catch them with no trouble nobody else can hope it helps
Hillside Beagles
Hunting And Raiseing puppys

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Bring him in the house thats what I did.
TheJohnBirchSociety

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

Whenever I have a timid acting dog I always tie them up beside the door of the house that we always go in and out of, that way they get used to seeing people all the time. Also, the first couple weeks of doing this whenever I come out of the house I will go up to them and give them a treat while I'm walking by. They start looking forward to seeing you and wanting to come up to you so they can get a treat.

Call their name, pet them, fill them full of treats and give plenty of attention. Seems to always work for me!

Matt

Mo Rabbit Runner

Post by Mo Rabbit Runner »

I got a some litter mate blue ticks a couple months ago. They were 15 months old and were very people shy. I just let them be for a few days. Just going out talkin to them when I fed and watered them. Then after 4 or 5 days I started going into the pens at feeding time, sitting down on the dog house and hand fed them their meals. They were shy and reluctant but they ate a small hand full at a time. I did this everyday for 3 weeks. Each day they would get a little closer and a little more relaxed. Finally I started reaching and petting them as they ate. They are still a little unsure but they have settled in much better. The male more so than the female. But when I sit on the dog house she will come over put her front paws on my leg wanting petted. I snag her up, put her on my lap and pet her while talking to her. She's as calm as can be while she is on my lap. Put her back down and she acts shy again. But all in all things are much better than when we started. Good luck.
Honky Tonk King Shamrock
Honky Tonk Call Me The Breeze
Honky Tonk Get Ahead Little Red
Honky Tonk Sweetheart Vom Levi Haus
PR Honky Tonk Maiden Of Mayhem
PR Master Of Mayhem Vom Levi Haus