How to slow a dog down

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hillsidebeagles

How to slow a dog down

Post by hillsidebeagles »

I have a good dog he about 2 speed fater then the rest of my dogs. is there a way i can slow him down. i got a man wanting to trade me a nother male for my that is the same speed. my dog is a good jump dog and hell get in the thicket and he just not the best track dog he runs past the rabbit turns and go back and have to stright it out i think it cause he to fast for his own good he pulling my pack a little bit. the dog the man wants to trade is my speed and he runs a track great he no jump dog but i got 2 more jump dog he a little gun shy not bad my dog is 17 months old his dog is 2 years old what do ya think
Hillside Beagles
Hunting And Raiseing puppys

mrwvsportsman

Re: How to slow a dog down

Post by mrwvsportsman »

JMO...What is the problem with the speed? Is he over running the check area by too much, out running the rest of the pack??? If you want to keep him AND the speed in the long run, maybe try putting some weight on him and soloing him as much as possible. The weight will take a step or 2 off his speed and keep him in the check area a little longer. Then when he learns to work the check area from the inside out and gets smarter you can start taking the weight back off. Sounds like he is relatively young so this may help out and make a nice dog out of him. But if he is just outrunning your pack, maybe you should trade. Those few months age difference aren't going to hurt you any.
If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

hillsidebeagles

thanks how do i go about puting whight on him with a back pack for dog
Hillside Beagles

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

i think he means to up his feed and put some weight on him.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

hillsidebeagles

ok
Hillside Beagles