Running dogs together?

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

galaxie428

Running dogs together?

Post by galaxie428 »

My friend and I have a couple of young beagles we are trying to run together but they refuse to. They are both females and around 1 ½ yrs old and both run well on their own. His dog is faster than mine but my dog can pick up a cold trail better. If his dog jumps a rabbit, mine will pull to her but as soon as mine starts barking, his just quits. His dog won’t pull to mine at all and really does not look like herself when out with mine. Does anyone have any advice on what we need to do to get these two to run together? Thanks.

galaxie428

Re: Running dogs together?

Post by galaxie428 »

Did I post this in the wrong forum? If there is a better place for my question, please let me know and I will move it. Thanks.

joe kaschak

Post by joe kaschak »

Beagles are a natural pack animal and as such will usually hark to a packmate. However, some can be very independent and not pack at all. Try the dogs with others to see if it is just your 2 or they won't pack with any. It is possible that they never will or given enough time they may. Good luck. Lots of tracks may be needed.

galaxie428

Post by galaxie428 »

I wonder if penning them up together would help any, maybe get them to know each other better?

I know he said his dog did not want to run with another guys dogs either but she was much younger then.

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I've seen several guys on here say to kennel the dogs together and it will help them pack up.

Black Rock Kennels

Post by Black Rock Kennels »

leave one on a lead while the other gets one up and going. Then wait till the dog is plum tore up wanting to join in then cut'em loose. Sometimes helps
Home of Black Rock Kennels
LPRCH Powerhouse's Sarge

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have kenneled dogs together for a couple of weeks until they get real used to each other and this has helped. After they have been together for a couple of days I would take your dog out of the pen and put her where the other dog can't see her every day until the other dog starts going crazy wanting to follow her. It seems like the problem is that his dog does not want to pack yet.

galaxie428

Post by galaxie428 »

Thanks for the replys. I may try some of these things and see what we can do. I had thought about putting them both on a lead to "make" them run together but decided that would be almost impossible hunting in the places we have been hunting. We would all be wrapped up in the briars.