Female and pups

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Steve Shipman

Female and pups

Post by Steve Shipman »

We recently had two litters of pups. 3 days apart. They are 6 weeks old this now. Here's the problem. Pups had been eating well for 1 week now on their own, but until this past Tuesday both female were still nursing with no problem. Tuesday one of the females started getting nasty with her pups when they tried to nurse, so that was our cue it was time to seperate them. The only problem we are having is with the second female, she still wants to nurse her pups as well as the others. We have combined both litters together, 9 total. All pups have been wormed regularly, received a 5 way shot ( 2nd shot will be given next week) and they have been treated with Albon as a precaution. Pups are nice and healthy.
Should we continue to let the 2nd female nurse the pups or cut her off also? She stays in the house with the pups kenneled outside. She driving everyone in the house crazy, whining, running for the door everytime she hears it open wanting with her pups. If we let her with the pups it usually last's about 20mins or so until she's whining to get out of the kennel. Long enough to nurse the pups. It's been 3 days now and she's bagging up pretty heavy.
Should we cut her off cold turkey and if so what can we give her to dry her up?
Thanks,
Steve

BCBeagles

Re: Female and pups

Post by BCBeagles »

You can cut her off completely Steve. With hold her water for extented periods (now since hot 4-6 hours and keep her cool). Cut back on her feed too as it will make her continue to produce milk. I use spirits of camphor and put it on a paper towel and apply to her bag and nipple area a couple times a day. It can be bought at just about any pharmacy. It has worked very well for me. Use this for about 4-5 days and her milk production should stop completely. Good luck!

Steve Shipman

Post by Steve Shipman »

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a try.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I would bring the pups in side and have a party. Call your vet steve btw I love your sight.
TheJohnBirchSociety

Steve Shipman

Post by Steve Shipman »

Thanks littlewoody, pups are doing great, female is still driving us nuts!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

The food and water thing works but its too hot .Try Spirits of Camphyr and rub it on her tits it will dry her up ,you buy it at the cvs or rite aid .........
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/