cold trailing question

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mdunc

cold trailing question

Post by mdunc »

I have a 18 month old gyp that will cold trail for about 50-100yards. It never fails that they will jump the rabbit but I just can't handle the cold trailing. I love everything else about her, but this. Is it possible to break her of this with a e-collar or should I just cull her?

kybuckhunter

Re: cold trailing question

Post by kybuckhunter »

I have had good luck breaking mine with an e-collar. I tone her or lightly bump her as soon as she barks now she will whimper or bark twice just before it's up and running. She picked it up bad from a buddies dogs went from hot nosed as she could be to barking from the time she scented it till it jumped.

pilotknob

Re: cold trailing question

Post by pilotknob »

What buckhunter said is right and will work,just be easy so as not to shock her to the point that she will quit the track like he said.I had one that was the same and she drove me crazy,same thing she would almost always jump one but you had to listen to that mouth till she did.I didn't have tone on my collar rig so I just said her name and No in a stern voice and the next time she would open her mouth I'ed nick her.Over and over name no and nick it didn't take her long to figure it out.I still have her she still wines and wimpers when she is working one up,but I like that she will wine more and more the closer she gits to jumping one and the other dogs still go to her and help.Just be consistent and don't let her ever get away with it.She'll quit doing it just to get you off her back.