Help a guy get started

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tiercel5

Help a guy get started

Post by tiercel5 »

Hello I am new here and would like some help. I would like to get a pup this spring and get it trained for the upcoming season. I have trained pointers and retrievers in the past and would like to give a beagle a go. Could anybody give me some opinions on what they like in a pup, or maybe even reccomend a breeder? Is there any books on training techniques somebody could reccomend? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Derek Edge

Post by Derek Edge »

So you want to become a beagler? Thats great. First off, let me ask you where you live, and maybe I can help you with finding a breeder. The first thing to look for in buying a beagle, would be, make sure the parents are proven rabbit dawgs (assuming thats what you want to use them for). They don't have to be registered, but I would make sure that the parents are good hunters. Picking pup, is a matter of personal prefference. Make sure all shots and wormings are up to date, if not, you will need to do this yourself. I go for the pups that:

1) Don't seem scared or distant when approached.

2) Has the ability to venture out on its on, meaning it don't rely on its littermates for comfort.

3) Uses a lot of nose when out exploring

4) The last thing I go for is color. If I see a dog that meets the first 3 requirements, and is the color I want, then yeah, that would be fine. I have found even in my own breeding, that the ugliest pups seem to be the best.

Now, you have your pup, say at the age of about 8 weeks (better to get a young puppy), its time to start normal yard work and obedience training. The first thing I do with pups is get them out on walks in the woods. I always take a bag of hotdogs, chipped up into small pieces. I first start off throwing the hotdogs around my feet as we walk, this kind of helps them get use to the idea of walking with you. This is also a good time to start throwing in some "tally-ho" commands. (tally-ho is a command that we give our dogs when a rabbit has been jumped by a hunter, and the dogs need to get there). The pups will soon learn to associate the command with searching for the hot dog. After getting them use to finding the hotdogs at my feet, I start throwing the hotdogs on the ground and rolling them into briar patches. Tally-ho the pups to the spot that the hotdog first touch the ground, and let them work it out into the briar bed. Obedeince training can be pretty easy, just 15-20 minutes a day working on the down command and here command, using praise as the prize. The down command can be the single most important command. This will allow you for quick timing to leash the dogs up if need be. ( This command will not always work if the dogs are actually running a rabbit. In fact, hardly ever. They will ignore the heck out of you while running a hot scent) After all the yard work and obedience training has worked out, then its time to start putting the dogs on rabbits, as much as possible. If you don't know of someone with a slower dog, then, this will be your only option. Sooner or later, the pups senses will kick in, and he/she will realize that rabbits will be his/her lifetime of joy. When the pups start running rabbits good ( this can take up to one year, so don't stress it if the pups don't learn right away ) then comes in the biggest problem that plagues rabbit hunters today. DEER!!!. You can go about breaking your dogs with all sorts of ways. I myself, take tarsal glands and hang on the hot end of an electric fence wire (while the pups are still young) You want to make their first encounter with the deer scent, one they will never forget. You could also use a shock collar, as that will work also. I can't give you much help on that topic because I have never used them.

With a lot of time and effort on your behalf, you will have the pup up "runnin and gunning" in no time. Spend as much time as you can with the pup. Don't leave him in the pen and expect him to hunt come opening day. It want happen. These are just the ways that I handle raising pups, you can take it with a grain of salt. Maybe I have helped a little.
Introduce a kid to our sport, and you will have a friend for life.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Wow, Derek! Now that's what I call helping a newcomer!

tiercel5. along with the replies you get here, if you don't already, I would recommend you subscribe to The American Beagler before the January issue goes to print. Chris Miller (NH), is writing a birth-to-finished series on training his hound Brandy - complete with pictures. The first part of the series will start in January. Tom Shannon (PA) also writes very good hunting stories and training articles dealing with particular issues. Rick Giermata (NY), Emery Barg (ID), KR Perry (MT), Jim Jones (VT), Butch Keene (ME), Jim Sikkenga (MI), Brian Joiner (IL) Cajun (LA) are also some of the regular contributing writers that are die-hard hunters/beaglers, as well as a host of occasional writers from all over this country. The monthly articles by Veterinarian Scott Smith alone will more than pay for your subscription if it saves you one unnecessary medical hardship.

The beaglers and contributing writers of The American Beagler make it the best overall beagling publication out there. (My humble and quite biased opinion) You may even want to get some back issues as there have been some really good topics covered and Butch Keene started a journaled series in November titled, "The Diary of a Hare Hunter" that will carry us through the winter and we can follow the progress of his young hounds' first gun season.

Convinced yet?

Oh yeah, you'll get to read the complete UKC and National Hunting Beagle Association trialing news, AKC, CKC-USA, CKC-Can., NKC/ARHA, National Beagle on Fox trials, occasionally Beagles in show, agility, tracking, formal packs, and many profiles on great hounds, kennels, breeders and beaglers. There are also upcoming trial listings for the different registries and several pages of kennel listings.

A few more things; there are hunt swaps, state-by-state Fish and Game listings, classifieds, stud ads, and a Kids' Corner where children in beagling are highlighted as well as a monthly puzzle for them to solve.

There's always a line of Scripture on the table of contents. (For you original subscribers: if you go back to the editorial of Sept. '01, the very first word in the very first issue was "God". - that was intentional)

And, we can't forget the product advertisers that also make a good magazine possible: Cress's Mfg., Purina, Diamond Foods, Black Gold Premium Pet Foods, Sportsman's Pride, Care-A-Lot, Tracker, Lion Country Supply, Sacandaga, Louis Page, Eisenhut, Emanuele Dog Supply and many others including kennel/dog box manufacturers, etc. - - - Whew!

So, where can I send you a complimentary issue? :biggrin:

ant

Post by ant »

GOOD JOB ON REPLYING GUYS ;)
AND WELCOME TIERCEL
ANTHONY

razorback

Post by razorback »

bev Iwould like to get that jan. issue gillracin@aol.com for address. can i get at bookstand or just from you.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

razor, email your complete mailing address to me at editor@americanbeagler.net and I will give you some information.