Gun Shy Dog

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Toucky

Gun Shy Dog

Post by Toucky »

Any advice on retraining a gun shy dog? She hunts hard and the family loves her. She just does not like gun shots. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rcoff

Re: Gun Shy Dog

Post by Rcoff »

Let her get running hard on a hot track, shoot something small; not close to her at first, I'll use a cap pistol to begin with; use 1 shot, see how she acts. When she gets so that the cap pistol doesn't bother her on track, try shooting it closer to her a little at a time. If the cap pistol dosen't bother her anymore, go to a 22, possibly a 22 short, start over; shoot only when she is hot on a track, not close at first, as she gets used to that get closer, when she gets used to that, shoot multiple times, but always when she is running track. If she quits at any time because of the gun, get her back on a rabbit as fast as you can. Some dogs come right out of it. Some never do. Good luck.
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Knobstone Kennels

Post by Knobstone Kennels »

I agree with RCoff. However I add a little extra Insurance
I would run her with other dogs. Once they are running strong then shoot. If the dog is startled or stops it will usually join right back in the pack still running strong A few times of that they seem to not pay attention going forward.
Adam
Knobstone Kennels

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

I had a gunshy dog that came out of his shyness, too bad he didnt come out of his deer runnin desire, he isnt on this earth anymore.. but he did overcome the shyness.

Hunter Two

Post by Hunter Two »

I hunt my pups by a Gun Range. Thay hear about two thousand shots a day! Lol.