Training???

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kbbgood

Training???

Post by kbbgood »

What can I expect to do for training beagles for hunting. I have trained a Rot to come and sit and that stuff but never tried to train a beagle and don't really know what I need to do with them. I know I can't run to get them back to me so they do need to come. 60 yrs old and a bad knee. Out side of that I don't know what else I need to do.

MasonKane Kennels

Re: Training???

Post by MasonKane Kennels »

A lot of time in the field. The instinct is there you've got to let them do what they are bred to do. Some are better than others. You've just got to be there to try and correct some of there mistakes. Deer and such.

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I had a pup one time that I trained to fetch an old sock tied in a knot. When ever I shot a rabbit in multiflora rose bush she would fetch it out for me.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

kbbgood

Post by kbbgood »

I just want them to come so I don't have to chase them down. Just don't know if I should try to do more.

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

I put myne on a check cord and with my female I had to reinforce it with an ecollars my male responded well to just a check cord

Hammerpolly

Post by Hammerpolly »

Ive been playing with my pups give them a little treat so they like coming to me. One sometimes trys to stay out of reach so put a short cord on her and teach her she has to come even when she doesnt want to, but allways pet and treat them when u catch. I also put a treat ( a peice of meat anything they like) on a string and teach them to chase, then let them have the treat when they come.
Breed and hunt dogs that have strong desire, hunt hard, are pretty, have natural ablity in the field, and are smart. Hammer Talkin Beagles

Hammerpolly

Post by Hammerpolly »

Sorry guys these good dogs are sold
Breed and hunt dogs that have strong desire, hunt hard, are pretty, have natural ablity in the field, and are smart. Hammer Talkin Beagles