Breaking beagles from deer

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dusty

Breaking beagles from deer

Post by Dusty »

I got a 7mth old male beagle pup. He is starting to run deer I have seen the deer he was chasing and I shocked him on it. My question is what else can I do to help break him of chasing deer?

Pentecostalkennels

Re: Breaking beagles from deer

Post by Pentecostalkennels »

I just got a dog that they said would run deer sometimes. Also interested In hearing how to break them.
Jonathan Gheen
Pentecostal Kennels

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I shock them on 6 hard ..most it don't take but once or twice.. had a few stubborn ones that took more......however the best method I feel if caught inb the act is if u can cut them off beat them with a small cedar limb which don't really hurt them but they think there dying lol. but I am to old to do that so I just shock....I rare;y ever have a problem ..many of these patch hounds are natural; broke ffrom off game ...but some sure aint lol.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

BROTH3RMIK3

Post by BROTH3RMIK3 »

I was wondering the same thing. So I asked this old hunter I bumped into, about how he dealt with the issue. He told me to put a deer carcass in a 55 gallon drum, throw the dog in it and roll it down a small hill. He said once the dog gets to the bottom of the hill, it thinks the deer just attacked it, and the dog will never mess with that smell again. I figured the old guy, had probably lost it. LOL, needless to say I didn't try it.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've heard of that method. It is supposed to work. I have a young--19 months--dog that pays no attention to deer tracks. I'm hoping he's just naturally broke, but none of my dogs ever go afield without e-collars. I'd like to trial him this fall and I need to be somewhat convinced he'll leave deer alone. Keep them on rabbits is the best advice.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red