housebreaking

From weaning to retirement, this forum covers all aspects of behavior and training; from basic commands to advance field training. Ask questions, or share your experiences and techniques.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

john870

housebreaking

Post by john870 »

I just got an 11 week old beagle pup christmas eve.having much trouble housebreaking.He wants to pee around my house every five to fifteen minutes.I crate him and sometimes he wont wet the crate for three or four hours,other times he will wet it in less than two.Is this normal for beagles?Any suggestions?

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Yeah, that's pretty normal. Sometime when you know he's been in the crate dry for a while, take him directly from crate to outdoors (don't let him walk, carry him). When you set him down, he'll go. Make that a routine - every single time he comes out of the crate he goes out. Same way if he's played around for 10-15 minutes without going, stop and carry him outside. If he poops anywhere, take the stool and put it in the yard where he piddles. Next trip out, he'll recognize it as his and probably put another one right next to it.

You have to be pretty diligent with this for a few weeks. The three best times to take him out are; upon waking, immediately after eating, and 5 minutes into playing. When he gets to the point where he goes outside more than inside, it's all downhill. As the weather becomes more tolerable to leave him out for longer periods, that should help, too.

john870

thanks

Post by john870 »

thanks for your reply.My last dog was a springer and she was prettymuch housebroke in a couple of days.I was worried when i saw little progress and needed some reassurance.thanks again

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Watch him like a hawk in the house. If you catch him in the act, stop him and take him outside. Keep him there until he goes to the bathroom, and praise him like crazy.

In general with newbies, we keep repeating, "Go potty," and then give them lots of praise and "Good potty!" when they go (maybe even with a treat). They eventually almost go on command, which is really helpful at bedtime, before a road trip, etc.