above ground pens

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

keith221

above ground pens

Post by keith221 »

hey guys this is my first post on this forum. I am building some new pens this spring and i was wondering if i should have deck boards spaced about an 1 1/2 apart or vinyl wire for the floor? which would be better?....thanks in advance...keith

BRANTBEAGLE

KENNELS

Post by BRANTBEAGLE »

WHEN I HAD ABOVE GROUND KENNELS I USED BOTH. PUT THE WOOD OUTSIDE THE DOGHOUSE 4 OR 5 BOARDS, THE REST WIRE.THE DOG LIKE LYING ON WOOD.

FRANK

BRANTBEAGLE

KENNELS

Post by BRANTBEAGLE »

WHEN I HAD ABOVE GROUND KENNELS I USED BOTH. PUT THE WOOD OUTSIDE THE DOGHOUSE 4 OR 5 BOARDS, THE REST WIRE.THE DOGS LIKE LYING ON WOOD.

FRANK

illinois boy

Post by illinois boy »

i have the boards on mine and no wire i have heard tomany people say their dogs feet get sore so i just played it safe and the boards spaced apart aint to bad to clean.
nick
Johnson's Ace High Beagles

Kurt Robinson

Flooring

Post by Kurt Robinson »

You should contact Tom Caroselli of Border creek Kennel productsin Wisconsin woodland@newnorth.net he sells the best flooring material I have ever seen I built new runs and boxes 2 months ago It is heavy plastic grating comes in 2x3 panels with 1 inch openings my dogs came off concrete runs straight on to this and had no problems adjusting at all. It is very inexpensive in my opinion. I paid 127.00 for 8 panels and that was with shipping to my door. Good luck Kurt

GR

Post by GR »

The stuff Kurt is referring to is called poultry flooring or grating. I was recently at a newly built kennel for bird dogs and they had this stuff. My buddy has a card for where it came from and if I can get it I will post a link. It comes in 2' x 4' panels with 1" openings. It was very reasonable. I would go with it over wire or wood.
http://www.hardcoregundogs.com/

He who cannot cull, should not breed.

HNTDAD

Post by HNTDAD »

Check out the post with a subject of DARRING on just talking dogs. I used it and it's the best stuff I can imagine and most of the time it is very cheap or free if you can find it.

Wayne Brierley

Post by Wayne Brierley »

I'd like to add a couple of above ground kennels. My hounds are currently on concrete, but i like to get away in the summertime for 3-4 day weekends. My buddy will feed my beagles, but I don't expect him to clean up the dogcrap. I think this would be good to put them in on those occasions. What is a good size, ( HXWXL ) considering I'd like to keep 2 beagles in each one. I like pics too! :lol:

boss hog

above ground pen size

Post by boss hog »

I've got 2 pens that are 4x8 and 3'6'' high.They are elevated 4' above ground.This is plenty room enough for 2 beagles to a pen keep in mind they are in there just to hang out not to play.I let my hounds out twice a week on the chain to stretch and a little bit of exercise.

Wayne Brierley

Post by Wayne Brierley »

Boss Hog, I like the height off the ground that yours are. I've seen some that I'd have to stoop to reach in to get the dogs. Being higher would make it easier for cleaning under too!

illinois boy

Post by illinois boy »

i can't remember how high i made mine but i went from my waist and made the floor so that all i have to do is reach out adn grab the dog i don't hvave to bend over or anything
nick
Johnson's Ace High Beagles

CEDARWOOD

Post by CEDARWOOD »

I just built my kennel I made 6 4x8 pens I put a 1 1/2ft box 1ft ply wood to lay on and 4ft of 1inx2in wire my dog have been in them for 4 mounths and I have had no problems can send pics if you wont. I also put like a metal roof under it so I can wash everything to the back into a gutter and run it away from the kennel. Keeps it real clean.

keith2210

Post by keith2210 »

yes i would like it if you could send me some pics cedarwood...my email address is keith_ohaver@hotmail.com

josh

Post by josh »

if i knew how to post a pic i would put my kennels on there :???:
J&H KENNELS-----God,Family,Good Hounds & Good Friends

weswhite19

Post by weswhite19 »

I would like a pic too. weswhite19@yahoo.com