useing treated lumber for dog kennels

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

paul

useing treated lumber for dog kennels

Post by paul »

Is useing treated lumber a good idea for dog kenneles? I'am getting ready to increase the size of my dog kennel and some people say not to use treated lumber then on the other hand some people say that there is nothing wrong with it. Would like to here your input , thanks

Andy and Gerty Smith

Post by Andy and Gerty Smith »

I know my uncle lost a Plott hound used for coyotte hunting because it chewed on the treated lumber and became sick. His vet bill was high and the dog died in about two weeks after chewing on treated lumber

Paul

Treated Lumber

Post by Paul »

I was just wandering do you think this is caused by the lumber being treated with arsenic? I see that some treated lumber says that it is arsenic free.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

If you use treated lumber it is probably best to make sure it is thoroughly cured (dry) before using it. I would also be cautious about using it for pups or dogs that chew bad. Really only the part that has ground contact needs to be treated anyhow. This will not be an issue soon if the news I got a few weeks back is true - a government ban on all "pressure-treated" wood is on its way. I have only heard this one time from one source so I can not verify it.[/b]

Paul

Treated Lumber

Post by Paul »

So it sounds like to me my best bet would be just to buy regular lumber and give it a good coat of paint. Thanks for the input

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

Chuck, I also heard (down here in NC) at a lumber yard that "pressure treated" lumber was soon to be a thing of the past. Many of the lumber yards here are now advertising that they have the "New Non-Toxic Treated Lumber" in stock. I dunno, but I hope the non-toxic stuff will last as good as the old treated stuff! :roll:
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

BigB

using PVC

Post by BigB »

I made my kennels out of PVC pipe. These are off the ground and i made four of them joined together. I used 2-1/2" rigid pipe and just used galvinized self drilling screws to secure the wire to them. I made the dog boxes out of wood though. They seem to be holding up pretty well but then again it's only been a year since being built. The pvc also doesn't hold the smell as wood does. I guess i just like to be different.

Casey Lou

Treated lumber

Post by Casey Lou »

Read the precautions on burning treated lumber and the hazzards the ash presents. Most lumber yards that advertise "one cut free" won't cut treated lumber. I work with it and wash my hands when I'm done. I would use it where the dogs can't chew. Hard wood resists rot very well.
Poplar isn't that expensive from a saw mill.

Rock

Treated Lumber

Post by Rock »

I used to work at a lumber yard and as far as i know the only treated lumber that has arsenic in it is Fireresistant lumber you can tell the difference because it has a white powder on the lumber, pressure treated is green and i dont think it has arsenic in it, it does have some chemicals in it but not arsenic.

Stone Cold Beagles

KENNEL

Post by Stone Cold Beagles »

IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT IT JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT THE WIRE ON THE INSIDE OF THE WOOD SO THAT THE DOG CAN'T CHEW ON IT. THAT'S WHAT I DID ON MY ABOVE GROUND KENNELS.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Pressure-treated wood generally contains chromated copper arsenate (CCA), and that is what actually causes the greenish color. The copper dries and reacts with UV light to turn green, which is part of the chemical reaction that binds the preservative to the wood. The "pressure-treatment" is just a means to force the preservative deep into the wood. Industry has voluntarily agreed to use other preservatives starting in 2004 because of the arsenic content.