New Kennels

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

fasttrackpa

New Kennels

Post by fasttrackpa »

I finally got half of my kennels finished. Well almost finished, I am going to be putting water and electricity out there before hunting season. The runs are on both sides of the building and they are 8'x3' with 3x3 boxes in the building that open inside. the boxes have a second story above the opening that will keep the wind out.here are some pics. let me know what ya think

Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

looks great

Lance

Post by Lance »

Nice looking kennels.....better line them holes with something! You know how beagles chew. I always like to cut sections of thick garden hose, split them and line the holes. It works pretty good! Just make sure you anchor it good.

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

:D Very nice!!!! I know you are proud of it. YOu can tell the hounds are very special to you.

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

:D Very nice!!!! I know you are proud of it. YOu can tell the hounds are very special to you.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

White metal J channel would finish out the door openings nicely and keep them from getting chewed up.
What type of rock is that? Anything done to prevent digging?
Drainage is very important in the kennel area. Building on a hill of clay, with good slope away from kennel, with a South/East facing is best.
A good dusting of ag-lime should help keep the ground from becoming contaminated to soon. Is the ground under the rock sloped to one side? if so, the bottom landscape timbers could be notched to allow drainage from under the rock and out of the containment. Do you see, if its not higher ground under the kennel and sloped away, you have created a catch-all to hold water and waste.
A very neat set-up, if the drainage is good... ;)

slade

Post by slade »

nice job andy. how you been? ok here we just had our trial at klipnockie this past weekend. went well considering the weather hot,hot,hot. how did you make out at lycomming? well speak to you again.

slade

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Thanx for the comments y'all. I ended up using aluminum flashing around the door holes to prevent chewing. The ground has a good slope and should drain real well. The stone is unwashed limestone with about an inch of ag lime under it. I hope that keeps the odor down for a while. I have an apron fence at the bottom of the chain link to prevent digging out. I would have had concrete poured, but this is my first house and I don't expect to be living at this adress for more than a couple of years ;) . So I need to keep it movable. We are looking for more acreage so we can build the dream house and big running pen. For now I am gonna fence 2 acres around the kennel, so I can cut the hounds loose to exercise when they are not getting run. Slade, we made it through 2nd series but did not get used for winners pack. I am gonna have to come up to some trials up your way soon. Taker easy!
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell