mesh screen for flooring

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BlueJack

mesh screen for flooring

Post by BlueJack »

Just wondered what some thoughts are on the metal mesh panels are. It is similar to the flooring on utility trailers and what is on the drop gates and such. I have located some with 1 1/4" openings in 4x8 sheets. Would like some input if anyone has used any of this for above ground flooring. How will it hold up and what to do for rust maintenance. If I get these panels I think I will get something along the lines of a roll on bed liner to coat them with. Has anyone ever done that before. I figure if it will last a lifetime in the bed of a truck I should get several years in a kennel.
Jeff Driver

poormans

Post by poormans »

Have used this on my above grounds. works well. I have one above ground that I am trying the expanded mesh that hog farmers use in farrowing runs. It is covered with rubbercoating, it seems to be a lot easier on the dogs pads and washes off real well. The only drawback that I have seen is the feces does not fall through.
Poormans Kennel
James Parker
Waynetown, IN
poormanskennel1@yahoo.com

wright boy

Post by wright boy »

Guys
You can buy this with larger holes for the waste to fall thru. If I`m correct, what you are refering to is called expanded metal. I just purchased some. Kinda pricey though. 62 bucks a sheet here. I used an exterior paint, but I like the idea about using the rhino lining. I just wonder if the waste will want to cling to it because it is sort of rough in texture :?:
Wright boy

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

Expanded metal, yeah, thats the ticket. As I was typing my post I knew what it was but for the life of me could not think of it. The only place around here that carries it said the 1 1/4" holes is the largest they can get but it is a much heavier steel than what they have in stock at the moment. As far as price goes, I wish $62 would buy a sheet around here. The smaller holes are $67 so I'm sure the heavier will be more pricey. Thats for clean metal, there is another place but all theirs sits out in the weather and is already a rusted mess. May not hurt anything but I figure for a couple bucks why not get the nice shiny clean metal. As for coating it I was thinking about the herculiner that you can get from any parts place and just roll it on yourself. The rhinoliner is sprayed on and it definately aint cheap. I called about it once a while back when I was thinking of this idea and for 2 4x8 sheets it was going to be more than it does to do the bed of a truck. I just figured with a gallon of the herculiner I could get both panels done on both sides for about 1/10 of the cost of the rhinoliner.
Jeff Driver

Beaglin Bill

Post by Beaglin Bill »

I used 2" PVC pipe spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart.It works great and all the waste falls through.Seems to be easy on their feet as well.Just another ideal for you to toss around.
Keep em' on the ground running!

Stumbo's Beagles

Post by Stumbo's Beagles »

I get the expanded metal her for $20 a sheet. 4' by 8'
J. Stumbo

xdawg

stumbo

Post by xdawg »

where are you getting your expanded metal from?

-Jack
Check Us Out Online @
http://www.xdawgbeagles.com

Need A Website? $8/Month
http://www.beagletown.com

Rabbit Fever

Flooring

Post by Rabbit Fever »

Try my floor panels you will never use anything else. They are 2x3' poly plastic with 1"x3" slots for waste to fall thru. never rust like the metal and are a fraction of the cost and are lightweight but very sturdy. I have all my aboveground kennels with them. email me or call woodland@newnorth.net 715-542-3192 I will send you the info.

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

i use 1''x 2'' mesh wire and it works really good, don't know about rhino lining, but remeber they always sand and clean the surface before appling so it will stick or otherwise it is like paint on a car it won't stick for long and start flaking off.
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

Danny King

Post by Danny King »

My above grounder has that diamond shaped mesh and its starting to rot out after only 3 years of being used. i would go with a rubber coated stuff.

Danny King
Lets Run Em... Hammerdown...Yankee By Birth Rebel By Choice!

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I have the plastic panels that Rabbit fever sells and they are the best I have seen, I wiegh close to 300lbs and I stood on the panels during the construction of my kennel and they did not budge they have been my best investment since a tracking system.

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

Rabbit Fever,
You got any pics or your flooring you can post. I would very much like to see it. How would it work for coonhounds also.
Jeff Driver

can do kennel

Post by can do kennel »

I read on another beagle site, about a guy that aquired some scrap screen material from a rock crusher operation. They use the screen until it starts to wear out, then they junk it. The crushers I dealt with have panels 3' x 5'. The opening can be anywear from 1" x1", or 2" x 2". The thickness of the mesh can be 1/8 - 3/16 thick.

n8ies

Post by n8ies »

Shaker screen from gravel pit opperation is what I use. I was lucky enough to get some new stuff from a company that was getting out of making shaker screens and had some scraps. I would not use the expanded metal unless there is no other choice as it is prety sharp and could hurt thier feet / nails.

tom