Chain link kennel

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

coolbrze

Chain link kennel

Post by coolbrze »

I'm in the market to build some kennels and am thinking of using chain link for the sides and top but leave the bottom open. I though I might move the kennels every couple weeks so the dogs dont dig under/ruin the grass. What do you all think? Also, what dimensions should these kennels be? Thanks!

82orioles

Post by 82orioles »

Steve, You would do a whole lot better getting those dogs off the ground. There are a lot of good plans out there. Personallly all mine are on concrete slabs. Previous owner was rabbit hunter too. How lucky can you get?

Also check out Huntin54's post on his kennel. Right impressive.

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

Is there a down side to using concrete slabs?

mrwvsportsman

Down side

Post by mrwvsportsman »

I have had concrete pens and elevated pens. With concrete the dogs and the pen tend to stink alot worse especially in the summer time. If you can get the dogs up in an elevated pen where the waste just falls through and the dogs aren't laying in it, it makes for a lot cleaner dog and kennel. Concrete is fine as long as you keep it clean. I am going to build a new kennel this spring and am still debating on which to use.
If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

What do you think of the pea gravel. I was ready to build a kennel and was going to use pea gravel. It doesn't look like a dog would have a lot of room in an above ground kennel. Now that I have seen a few above ground kennels I am going to hold off and might go that route.

Spruce Ridge Beagler

kennel

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

Gentlemen, see my reply to help with new kennel. Rneil, I like pea gravel,it makes cleaning easy, less than 5 minutes a day for 4 beagles.Also, i will put down pelletized lime 3 or 4 times a year. Dave
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

rvbeagler

Post by rvbeagler »

I have had dogs on concrete for 8 yrs now and love it. but the catch it U need to put a roof over it so U keep 90% of weather related moisture out. if not the crap stays wet and so do the dogs. I have recenly moved and built new kennels but ran out of money to put a roof over them. I am cussing under my breath every time it rains or snows. And yes u have to clean them every day or so. U do it right after I feed them so they are in side and I am outside. less jumping lol.

Rory

StevenJohnson

Chain link kennels

Post by StevenJohnson »

I have a 4' x6' kennel like the ones you are talking about. It took my 4 month old puppy about 2 days to figure out how to dig out even with chiken wire at the bottom.
Steven Johnson

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Ok, looks like I'll concrete the bottom. How do you all do this? How thick should the cement be? What size should I make my kennels? Will probably just go w/ 2 kennels, but not sure about size.

daustin

Post by daustin »

When you pour you slab make sure you consider not only what size you need now but what you may need 5 years down the road or even 10 years down the road. You don't need to pour all that concrete now but keep it in mind when you are planning everything out.

Dane

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

I have six kennels that are 4'x 12' and three that are 4'x10'. Mine are at least 4" thick, around the edge of the kennel they are deeper to keep critters from digging under. I have some pictures of my kennels on my web site listed below.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Thanks for the heads up.

daustin

Post by daustin »

PZ,
What do you have your posts setting on? Looks like they are propped up with 2x4 chucks..

Dane

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

daustin I cut patio blocks to raised the panel up a little higher. The new kennel panels sat lower than the old ones.

daustin

Post by daustin »

It just looked like a good idea for cleanup. You could spray the kennels out and not have to worry about it catching on the fence. Do you have them attached to the ground in anyway?

Dane