Kennel Concrete

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Little Dog

Kennel Concrete

Post by Little Dog »

How thick would you think concrete should be on kennel flooring? I'd guess 1.5 to 2 inches.
"The best dog is the dog that pleases you the best"

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

I'm no concrete professional....keep that in mind as you read my response... ;)

I use concrete runs and when I poured my kennel flooring, I poured it 3 1/2 to 4 inches thick (I put a slope on it). I figured that with the cold temps well below freezing in the winter, and the possibility of some water freezing on it and the ground freezing, a thicker slab would not crack up as bad and would last much longer....

maybe Blackdirt will chime in here, he's a concrete finisher...
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

4" is pretty standard for sidewalks and patios and such. if you wanted to cut corners a little, 3" would be ok for a dog kennel. i would use a 6 bag fiber mesh mix and use 1/2" rebar for reinforcement. try not to pour it too wet, that weakens the strength some. depending on the size of the run you should put some control joints (sawcuts or hand grooves) into the project. if you get bigger than 10' x 12' its best to put a control joint down the middle each way. hope this helps. basically with the light load of a dog kennel there isnt too much you can really screw up, most anything will work, but if you spend just a few extra $$ and do it right it can last for 20 years or more. remember to seal it with a sealer just for concrete every 2 years or so.