Need Ideas for chain link kennel set up

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TheVilleBeagler

Need Ideas for chain link kennel set up

Post by TheVilleBeagler »

Just had a co worker give me a 10x6 chain link kennel and I am wondering what would be the ideal way to set it up. I have a few diggers in my pack and I really can't afford to pour concrete, Any suggestions.

TC

Post by TC »

place Some welded Wire or Chicken Wire on the ground where you place your kennel, Cover that with Some Crushed Rock or pea gravel and your Set!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

FrancoMo1678

Post by FrancoMo1678 »

I got a 10x6 like yours and built a wooden platform using decking boards for the flooring spaced 1 1/2 " apart ,with legs 30"tall , and just set the pen on it. works good but lil too high,might cut the legs and make it 24".

TheVilleBeagler

Post by TheVilleBeagler »

TC
Does the pea gravel make it difficult to clean up?

TC

Post by TC »

not at all We got us one of them little rake pooper Scooper jobbies from the pet store the gravel just falls right thru. just Spray the gravel down now and again with bleach and your set... we have also used the hydrated lime to help keep the smell down just remove the dogs for a bit sprinkle it around.. the gravel also makes it easy for bug Control you can just sprinkle seven dust around on the gravel...we have concrete runs but our welpin pen is gravel no problems with it.....
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

I'll 2nd what TC said. Put some chicken wire, or better yet, lay some extra chain link down flat and cover w/ rock dust or pea gravel. I use rock dust now, but had pea gravel in my last kennels. Both are very easy to clean waste up from.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

dannycrlsn

Post by dannycrlsn »

I put a 6X10 chainlink pen on a wood platform made out of 3" lumber of various widths (8, 10 & 12 inches wide). I didn't leave spaces between. I just use a flat shovel to scrape or shovel up manure. Then I wash off with a hose and bleach every so often. Been working for me!

Blue Briar Kennel

Post by Blue Briar Kennel »

I put a row of shell rock around the inside of the kennel. I used big enough rocks that the dogs can't move. I would say they are anywhere from. 12" to 16" wide rocks. Didn't cost me a thing.