saw dust on kennel floor

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jlboomer

saw dust on kennel floor

Post by jlboomer »

anyone ever use sawdust on your kennel floor talk to an old birddog guy said he used it for years on his outside runs and loved it seems to me tho it would hold a lot of moisutre but he said it was 10 times better than a dirt or gravel floor any thoughts has anyone done this.
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

S.R.Patch

Re: saw dust on kennel floor

Post by S.R.Patch »

It's good for portable ground kennels you move every other year where you don't want rock left behind.
There's no preventing ground contamination from hounds being kept on the same soil year after year. I'd rather have a bed of 4" sawdust or chips to work into the soil than a rock/mud crap bed any day, plus, my wood bed was free and will enrich the soil as it rots.(whats the politically correct term, "biodegradable" ;) )

TOPGUN

Post by TOPGUN »

I use sawdust in my chicken house. Its very absorbant and keeps the odor to a minimum. When I clean it out it goes into my compost pile, then onto the garden. You can`t find a better fertilizer than this combination. Once it breaks down it is good stuff. I don`t know to many beagle guys that don`t raise a little garden. Plus, sawdust is free at many sawmills. I go and get big trashbags full at a time and they stay dry and ready at all times. You can`t beat good old free sawdust.
Kevin Hall
Vandalia IL
I`m only on my computer about once a month!
If needed I am most likely in a local Briar Patch.
My Tracking collar # is(618)292-8794. Thanks

Haire-Bear

Post by Haire-Bear »

I use wood chips on my concrete floored kennels. The chips absorb the urine and clings to the poop and makes clean up very nice. This also teaches the dogs to go in one area of the kennel and it stays cleaner . Campbell

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

got to wach out for flee's they will take over and you have to clean it out cause the water will hold up in it and cause a smelling problem. If you put lime on it in the spring and late fall that will help. Used it for house and that was what we had to do. :D

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

i like cedar. They smell good and fleas dont like it.

Ruxton

Post by Ruxton »

It does seem a little better than dirt to me, but wonder why he felt it was better than gravel? How do you disinfect it? It seems like it would be a wonderful breeding ground for every parasite on earth to me if it is just sawdust on dirt. If this is the route I had to go I would find some rubber mats or an old piece of flooring to put under the sawdust.

If you live in an area where they mine limestone you can get crusher dust (sometimes called flume) which is the best kennel floor I've found. It doesn't need to be replenished as much as gravel and is easily disinfected with bleach water. I lay some old fence on the ground and cover it with the crusher dust it works great.

I use cedar chips for the puppy box. You have to be really careful with free sawdust- certain species of wood are toxic to dogs, and a friend of mine lost a whole litter when he didn't realize that he got saw dust from treated wood and didn't know it.