Poop Digester??

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

south mtn beagles

Poop Digester??

Post by south mtn beagles »

Has any one tried any type of waste disposal systems like you would find in the big sporting goods store's?? If so how does it work and would it work with the poop chute that you could place under the above ground type kennel.

Thanks!!

Frank Pinker

Re: Poop Digester??

Post by Frank Pinker »

I have a 55 gallon plastic drum with a screw on lid that I placed in the ground.I drilled about 10 holes half way up the barrell put the barrell in the ground and put a ton of # 2 stone around for drainage, once a month I add digester I havent had any problems with this system.Where I live it sandy loam in clay ground it might not work as well.

south mtn beagles

Frank what I've been thinking about is close to what you have but a smaller scale,now on the website's like cabelas or others that sell the digester they clam to have two maybe three dogs on this thing and it was to be no larger than a five gallon bucket with holes in it so it would drain,I guess I'll give it a try whats the worst that could happen? A five gallon bucket full of poop!!but I may have to go with something larger with my other kennels since they house more dogs.but with yours how many dogs do you have on it and how big was the bit that you used also did you have to put in a drain field?? thanks for the input!!

Frank Pinker

Post by Frank Pinker »

I keep 6 dogs and it works just fine. I dont use it in the winter because they say they will not work below 40 degrees.I believe I used a 5/16 inch drill bit but I dont think 1/2 holes would hurt.I didn't put a leach field in because I have very good drainage here,hope this helps.

south mtn beagles

I built the chute just like I had planned and it's working great so far,no poo on the ground and it all goes into a five gallon bucket buried with gravel about 2.5 ft under ground with holes drilled in it along with some rid-ex added to eat away some off the poo,Now I'm planning a bigger one that will keep 5-10 dogs on it.were as this one only has three.

allniter

Post by allniter »

where I ran into trouble was with HAIR didn't find any thing that would eat the HAIR up --six dog shed a lot of HAIR :nod: :nod:
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

south mtn beagles

Well after all this cold weather I got a bucket full of poo,so I buried a 55 gallon drum on its side with alot of holes drilled in it.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

If your kennels are close together at all save yourself some trouble and bury a 200 gallon or bigger tank. Dig the hole 2 feet bigger than the tank all the way around it, put 2 feet of stone on the bottom, set the tank in, plumb each of your kennels to the tank and then back fill right up to the top of the tank with stone, cover the tank with dirt and mark the lid somehow. If you check with your local cement company or excavators you might even find a cracked septic tank for cheap. I got a 1000 gallon septic tank for $200, pipe cost me $20 and the stone cost me $100. I haven't had to mess with it yet and as long as I can keep the pipe clear I still use it it the winter. I do scoop some too when it freezes up but so far so good. Plus if you ever manage to fill it up, which you shouldn't, you can have it pumped out through the lid.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

south mtn beagles

My only problem is right now the wife and I are wanting to buy another house with more land so I can move the dogs away from the house and put in a septic tank,a friend of mine has one like you would have for your home and all of his dogs are on concret slab and he just washies it off every day and he has twice as many dogs than I do.It was mostly to try the poop digester like cabelas sells online with the cemicals added it should have worked but it got so cold here this year that it froze solid.