Kennel/box dimensions?

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rockdog

Kennel/box dimensions?

Post by Rockdog »

Howdy all. Well, I got this beagle you see. He's a solid 15" tall and about 28 nose to root of tail. He's 9 months old and I figure about topped out for size. Now,I'm building a raised kennel. It's going to be 48" wide in the run. What sort of dimensions would be best for the box? I will have the 48" width to work with as I plan to fasten it to the side rails of the run. I want to do the baffel type entrance. I can't decide wether to do a hinged roof or an access door in the side of the box. At any rate,what are good inner dimensions for a good sized 15" huntin' buddy? Thanks a bunch all,Rockdog.

Ky. Hunter

Re: Kennel/box dimensions?

Post by Ky. Hunter »

If it is going to be 48" wide I wouldn't make it any more than 24" deep at the most. In cold weather the smaller the box the easier it is to keep them warm. Just my opinion.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

i think 48 is kind of wide too. when i built mine i made a dead space at one end. i think i made the box 36 wide by 24"-26"
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Rockdog

Post by Rockdog »

Well,I guess I can burn up the extra width with some storage space. I kinda like the sound of that. So, I guess if we had a sleeping quarters of 26 or 28 inches square we would be in good shape?

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

i make my beagle boxes 24x24x24. 3/4 inch exterior plywood. not osb. as soon as osb gets wet or the dog chews on it its gone. brace the corners with 2x2 to keep it all together. you dont want the dog to have to heat more box than it needs to. all my dogs are right around 15 in and it is amazing how small of a ball they curl up in to sleep. i always feel if you keep them good and dry and out of the wind and feed good food the dog will keep itsself warm,

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Mine are 20" x 20" single dogs, and 24" x24" is big enuff to double them up. They can stay warm in the cold that way.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

Im going to make some new ones...i had them all in one big pen with a huge two hole 5 ft long box attached to the back that we built for my labs and they all decided to use one side and crap in the other the boxes were to big anyways so now they are all in seperate pens cuz my females are coming in and im going to make a couple boxes with the flat sloped roofs. I was gonna do 36x24x24. with the lid being removable and with like tin or something on top so they can get on top. Anybody have any pictures of ones done like this that i could see to get a idea. Or anybody with a idea on how to make the top so its sealed but removable.