kennel flooring used???????????????

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

raccoon crk kennel

kennel flooring used???????????????

Post by raccoon crk kennel »

im wanting to build a new kennel but im on a tight budget would like to find some coal shaker grateing or some used coated flooring or something on the cheap, im building a 6 stall kennel each 36 inches wide by 5ft outside walk area. if i cant find it used does anyone know were i can buy it around eastern ky cheap? thought about useing treated lumber spaced an inch apart how does that seam to do? any help will be appreciated.

Panther Creek

Re: kennel flooring used???????????????

Post by Panther Creek »

I used 1 1/2 " treated ballasters spaced 1 1/2 " apart. Sometimes poop falls through-sometimes it doesn't.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

raccoon crk kennel

CentMo7023 wrote:I used 1 1/2 " treated ballasters spaced 1 1/2 " apart. Sometimes poop falls through-sometimes it doesn't.
i believe thats the route im going take....

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I used 1" X 6" treated deck boards spaced 1.25 inches apart. Works real good. Dogs get around real easy and lay on it during these hot days. Crap does not all fall through by itself, but I keep a 4 foot 1" X 2" board to push off what doesnt fall by itself. I used 4 X 4 treated posts for corners and a plywood box. Should last a long time. Lumber is expensive, but I was able to pick up parts of it in the cull lumber section at home depot.

Ive used treated 2X2's before, which allows the crap to fall easier, but the dogs are more awkward walking on it and stay in the box more. With the deck boards the dogs are almost always laying outside the kennel......

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

raccoon crk kennel

ty for the info. :D

south mtn beagles

Post by south mtn beagles »

[img][IMG]http://a.imageshack.us/img691/2195/buil ... nel.th.jpg[/img][/img]
I used a 1x1 wire uncoated on a 8x12 with 4x8 nest broken into two runs, houses 4 dogs,I have summer doors on the rear were at the nesting area and decking boards at the front of the nest that the dogs lay on as well as their feeders and water is,the dont poop on the boards they always go on the wire,now that it's about a year old I have found that the wire is breaking down from the dogs weight or from were it was nailed too tight when it comes time for repair I'll most likely use the plastic coated wire now that I can get it within driving distance from my home.

mtnwaykennel

Post by mtnwaykennel »

I looked for used flooring and found none. In virginia now ( I was told by the dog warden ) you can not use wire flooring. I asked about the coated wire and he said NO! Said it falls under the new humane bill.

Also said that the kennel must be built in a manner that is pleaseable to the hound ( not sure what that is ) and the hound must be able to lay down in all directions and not touch wire or another hound. Made me re think my kennel plans.

When I get mine done I will show ya what we used for flooring. Best of all it was free!!!

Bill Woods
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!

south mtn beagles

Post by south mtn beagles »

I dont know about up there,but down here i've had all three members of animal control down at different times and they all liked the type of kennel set up that I used,I'll get them to give the rabies shot for me as well as put one down if need be.But i have put some decking boards down at the door to the nesting area and they lay on that and poop on the wire.two dogs per.the runs are 4x12 and the nest are 4x4 so I think they have lots of room.

raccoon crk kennel

i almost have my kennel done, i went with treated 2x2s stagered witch gives 1.5 inch gaps and its turned out very nice and should last for years.i built three stalls 3x5 walkways with 2ft box on the back, 3ft off the ground and there runs are 4ft tall plenty of room. i ended up with 175.00 in it all new treated lumber i skimped and found used tin and had some chain link give to me for the partitions and 2x4 wire for the outside. its took me 8 hours so far and ive probly got 4 left.the longest part was ripping down the 2x4s on my table saw and the dividers. i love the way it turned out and i owe the floor plan to timf on here. :D