Expanded Metal Flooring?

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tinymwoods

Expanded Metal Flooring?

Post by tinymwoods »

I was wondering if anyone has ever used expanded metal flooring for above ground kennels. Price wise it looks like a good option. They make it galvanized as well and we were thinking of maybe using the spray on truck lining stuff to coat it to make it more resistant to rust. Any thoughts on this? We are looking at the 1 1/2" holes or maybe the 1" holes.

Thanks!
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

Gabby's Beagles

Re: Expanded Metal Flooring?

Post by Gabby's Beagles »

Probably be a little hard on the dogs feet.

mtnwaykennel

Post by mtnwaykennel »

I read that it is flattened? We are just wondering about it. I am getting a new place and as those of you who know me have heard.... i have been homeless for like 2 months living in hotels and good friends keeping the only hound I had left. Well now I have a new place and thinking about building above ground but I need a cheap way to put in a good cheap flooring. Any thoughts or even other idea's?

Anyone ever considered using bread trays cut like what the bread is delivered in. it is like a 1 and 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch holes plastic. I am just checking out our options.

Any advice will be a great help! I am not used to above ground so I have to learn!

Bill Woods
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

Hey Bill there`s a guy on the equitment for sale forum has some plastic snap togather flooring at what seems to be a good price.you can also buy the expanded metal already rubber coated but I dont know about price.

south mtn beagles

Post by south mtn beagles »

tinymwoods wrote:I was wondering if anyone has ever used expanded metal flooring for above ground kennels. Price wise it looks like a good option. They make it galvanized as well and we were thinking of maybe using the spray on truck lining stuff to coat it to make it more resistant to rust. Any thoughts on this? We are looking at the 1 1/2" holes or maybe the 1" holes.

Thanks!
Image[/img]
if you need some cheap wire I have tried the wire like you would buy at lowes,it's 12 ft by 24 inch with 1x1 holes in it,you'll have to wash it out cause to poo dont fall through as well but it's cheap.just make sure it's well supported.

raccoon crk kennel

Post by raccoon crk kennel »

I TOOK TREATED 2X4S RIPPED THEM DOWN AND STAGGERED THEM TO MAKE 1.5 IN GAPS. MY THREE HOLE KENNEL WITH 6FT OF FLOOR AND 2FOOT DOGBOX EACH HOLE 3FT WIDE COSTED ME 180.00 WITCH IS CHEAP! I USED USED TIN TO SAVE MONEY.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I built a kennel and used the expanded metal floor. The particular size I used didn't let any waste fall through but it held up great and was easy on their feet. It was the diamond flattened kind. I didn't even paint it but it came with a primer on it. It finally rotted in half after 8 years but I built the kennel around it and only put a few staples so all I needed to do was grind off the staples and put another sheet right in.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

I use 10 Ga Pvc coated lobster wire 1.5-1.5 works well get it already cut myn are 6 ft by 2 ft ,the mom is in the back the pups took after there sire
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Tiny, A friend of ours has it. His Jill dog got a pad hung in it last week and froze to death.
-
-
Anyone who has expanded metal in there kennel floor should keep a close eye on the dogs as they could get hung in it.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Bells Run Kennels

Post by Bells Run Kennels »

I used the expanded metal sheeting for side walls between my above ground kennels...FOR ! WEEK....the little puppies gut all caught up in it when they jumped at the side walla nd a couple SLICED toes off and ended up being sold as pets since they couldnt run right. that was MY FAULT as i even cut myself on that stupid expanded stuff and thats why i used it on the side walls and not the floors...i shoulda just spent some more money and bought 1 x 1 wire fencing...live and learn I guess. hope this helps you.
Run your dogs....not your mouth!!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've got some Scott's kennel flooring, TC Scott I think it is. Had bought this flooring used years ago, probably close to 20yrs. It's got some kinda galvanizing in it, no rust. The old rabbit hunter books had it advertised, it's some good stuff or at least the old type is.
Five quarter deck boards ripped makes good flooring.
The diamond shape of the expanded metal, even chain link, is bad about catching and tearing out toenails.
Deck board floor and 2X4 horse panel cut for sides and gate is hard to beat... ;)

Pulpwood725

Post by Pulpwood725 »

I tried expanded metal once. Every now and then a dog or pup gets a toe caught in it. Sometimes they get cut pretty bad. I took mine out and went with wood.

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know that about Jill. We went with a plastic flooring that seems good so far and was free.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

D Slone

Post by D Slone »

i got my dogs jill and rage on above ground kennel with expandend metal flooring its GREAT!!!!
Home of:
Lprch Slone"s Stylish Tuff Man
Lpbch Dixie Drivin Blue Goose