New kennel

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FlyinSoLow

New kennel

Post by FlyinSoLow »

My dogs (one beagle and a new 9 week old lab pup) live inside, but I wanted to keep them in a kennel outside during the day.
So we built this; works well so far, keeps the beagle and yella lab pup in. we need to paint the house, add and paper/traction tape stuff to the ramp, and get a door on it yet and we are still deciding if we should add a rail/sides to the ramp.

Kennel is 10 x 10.
House is... I'm not sure... but it has 2" insulation in all the ways and 4" in the floor and roof! As you can see you walk in and turn a corner to help block weather/wind.
We raised the house 2 feet off the ground to allow the dogs more room and run and play, also it is nice to keep the dogs off the ground when it snows.
And then they can also lay under the house for shade or if its warm outside, but raining.
Kennel floor is just pressure treated pine deck boards. The deck/floor is level, kennel may not be quite level, ground is REALLY not level so we has to improvise a bit there.
House has a bag of cedar chips for bedding.

So far they stay in, our beagle is pretty good and just enjoys being outside... but eventually I would like some kennel panels to lay across the top of the kennel to prevent her from climbing out.

Marissa Everett

"A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study." ~Chinese Proverb

S.R.Patch

Re: New kennel

Post by S.R.Patch »

Only recommendation, put you a 4" kick board across the bottom of the entrance to keep the bedding from being dragged out as they go in and out... ;)

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

I use at least a 6inch board to keep the bedding in.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

watch for chewing on that treated lumber. might make that pup sick . JMO. maybe some metal corner pieces around edges. nice looking job .

yottie gunner

Post by yottie gunner »

Good place to keep the kids also :D